Author Topic: Tree Crew Brisket and Sausage  (Read 5710 times)

EFGM

Re: Tree Crew Brisket and Sausage
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
So then with a recommendation from two top pros, I have added it to my Wunderlist Grocery Store list. Another Brisket smoke for Wednesday and I'll show you my "Ring"
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »
Just "purdy's it up a bit," for the BBQ snobs, Doug!  It's our little "secret!"  SSSHHHHH!!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
I'm a recent convert to tender quick, thanks to Tony. But I haven't looked back since I started using it.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 01:16:45 AM »
So then with a recommendation from two top pros, I have added it to my Wunderlist Grocery Store list. Another Brisket smoke for Wednesday and I'll show you my "Ring"

Just make sure you do the TenderQuick step as one of the last steps before going in the smoker. TenderQuick, rinse, rub, then into the smoker. If you apply TenderQuick then rinse the night before for example, the "cure" can continue to work it's way into the center of the meat (even though you've rinsed it), and you might get a large, odd-looking ring. The photo below was posted by a member who did the TenderQuick step too far in advance. They dusted with TenderQuick, rinsed, then applied the rub, and refrigerated overnight. You can see how the red went too far. I'm sure it still tasted just fine. Almost looks like half-cured pastrami.

Sounds like the recommendation these days is to leave the TenderQuick on for 30 minutes to an hour, then rinse. (Older posts will say to leave it on for several hours, but that appears to have been cut back.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:19:26 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EFGM

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
Thank you Kari for the added details. Looking forward to giving it a go.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »
Just "purdy's it up a bit," for the BBQ snobs, Doug!  It's our little "secret!"  SSSHHHHH!!! ;)

Tony, I don't understand, what ever are you talking about!

(LOL)Got it!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"