Author Topic: Boston Butts in #2  (Read 4301 times)

Nimrod

Boston Butts in #2
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:49 PM »
Had a butt marathon that began with 2 roughly equal bone in Boston butts from Sams at 17.45 # total.  In the brine for 11 hours, rubbed and into the #2 at 10:30pm with a loaf pan of apple juice.  Smoke provided by 3.75 oz hickory along with 2.1 oz wild cherry and temp set at 225 deg.

By 7:45 am the Maverick read 156 IT on the top rack and 158 IT on the middle.  Thinking I should be halfway, I opened up and swapped racks in search of an even finish.  By noon, the internal temps had not budged from 156/158.  IT finally rose to 165/169 by 6pm so I cranked it up slightly to 235 degrees as this is has gone beyond lazy?  8pm we’re reading 172/176 ITs.

Finally at 11:38 pm, beverages highly diminished, the lower butt reached 190 and the upper read 183.  Put the lower to rest in the cooler and waited another hour for the upper to reach 189.

My instincts said to pull these babies a long time ago but this was my first time to smoke 2 butts together and was determined to trust the Maverick.  The butts were both great although I think the bark was getting a bit too dry in spots.  Checked my probes in boiling water and everything read perfect at 212.  I’d like to get this a little more predictable and 25 hours seems wayyy long or is my time estimate just off?

Im traveling and may be slow to respond but appreciate everyones comments.

Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Boston Butts in #2
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:57:13 PM »
25 hours is around 3 hours per pound. Not unheard of for smaller butts, but longer than expected for butts that size. My only idea is that opening the door, right in the middle of the stall, probably added more time than you thought it would. I believe it is really critical that the moisture and temperature remain undisturbed during the stall. You might think that you only lost the amount of time that it takes for the SI to get back up to temp, but you have interrupted a very important molecular process, and it takes much longer to get that back on track. I'm a big believer in opening the door ONLY when you absolutely have to. And not at all if possible. Your two butt temps seemed pretty similar when you opened the door, so there was no need to rotate the racks at that time. Wait until closer to the end, post stall (if at all). You can always pull the one that's done earlier and rest, like you ended up doing. Guess you'll just have to do more experimenting!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »
Those were prob small butts if you trimmed off some of the wally world fat (cap and extra; ect). 

That's my hunch.

That being a guess, small butts are notorious for having an attitude.

If available, try two 10 lbs in bones from a butcher shop where they are not injected.

Reading the post I feel the pain in timing these cooks.   Blame the meat not the cook!  Keep ice and drinks handy.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Nimrod

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
25 hours is around 3 hours per pound. Not unheard of for smaller butts, but longer than expected for butts that size. My only idea is that opening the door, right in the middle of the stall, probably added more time than you thought it would. I believe it is really critical that the moisture and temperature remain undisturbed during the stall. You might think that you only lost the amount of time that it takes for the SI to get back up to temp, but you have interrupted a very important molecular process, and it takes much longer to get that back on track. I'm a big believer in opening the door ONLY when you absolutely have to. And not at all if possible. Your two butt temps seemed pretty similar when you opened the door, so there was no need to rotate the racks at that time. Wait until closer to the end, post stall (if at all). You can always pull the one that's done earlier and rest, like you ended up doing. Guess you'll just have to do more experimenting!

I agree Kari.  I had debated about trying to jam them both onto one shelf but it would have been way crowded so (at the time) I thought swapping them would accommodate the cook but in retrospect, I would let them run and not open that dang door :P
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
Those were prob small butts if you trimmed off some of the wally world fat (cap and extra; ect). 

That's my hunch.

If available, try two 10 lbs in bones from a butcher shop where they are not injected.

Reading the post I feel the pain in timing these cooks.   Blame the meat not the cook!  Keep ice and drinks handy.

Good advice all the way around John!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »
I think you switched the butts too early. I would never want to interrupt the cooking process until both butts are out of the stall. At that point, you can crank the heat or swap shelves.

You would be surprised how often butts that have a wide range of temps tend to even out in the end.

I always use 225 for single butts. But, for two or more butts I run at 235 from the start.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »

That's my hunch.

John, he said this was a 2-pack from Sam's.  Their butts are trimmed well, and are not injected (huge difference from the Tyson butts at Wallyworld). 

Now, I'm going to take the fall on this one... :-[   I was the one that recommended Dave rotate the butts halfway through, due to the lower butt being so close to the smoke box in the #2.  Monday morning quarterbacking, I see that might have needed more clarification.  158 is really low for the stall, so the unit should have recovered box temp pretty quick.  I have never had a stall lower than the 160s -170s!  I agree, that if it looks like they are in the stall, that should not be interrupted!  Magic time, happening right before your eyes! ;)   Just seems too low, though!  I was trying to avoid his lower butt from getting really dry on the bottom.  I think, had Dave jammed them together, on one shelf, it would have smoked like a single 17 lb butt (up to 34 hours). 

For the time, I believe that 2 butts, that size, is pretty tight in the #2.  What I missed was that while not jammed together on one shelf, they were probably jammed together on 2 (vertically, rather than horizontally)!  If there is good airspace between 2 large cuts, they will smoke as a single (time-wise).  But, if really close together, they will smoke for the combined weight.  So, 25 hours is not unreasonable, as it averaged 1.5 hrs/pound with combined weight.  Bet that was it.

Didn't mean to steer you wrong, Dave!  I just didn't consider them being so close together, vertically.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »
I think you switched the butts too early. I would never want to interrupt the cooking process until both butts are out of the stall. At that point, you can crank the heat or swap shelves.

You would be surprised how often butts that have a wide range of temps tend to even out in the end.

I always use 225 for single butts. But, for two or more butts I run at 235 from the start.

Thanks Gregg,
Just curious how long you normally allow for 2 butts at 235 in your #3 ?  Im thinking @16 hours give or take?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »

That's my hunch.

John, he said this was a 2-pack from Sam's.  Their butts are trimmed well, and are not injected (huge difference from the Tyson butts at Wallyworld). 

Now, I'm going to take the fall on this one... :-[   I was the one that recommended Dave rotate the butts halfway through, due to the lower butt being so close to the smoke box in the #2.  Monday morning quarterbacking, I see that might have needed more clarification.  158 is really low for the stall, so the unit should have recovered box temp pretty quick.  I have never had a stall lower than the 160s -170s!  I agree, that if it looks like they are in the stall, that should not be interrupted!  Magic time, happening right before your eyes! ;)   Just seems too low, though!  I was trying to avoid his lower butt from getting really dry on the bottom.  I think, had Dave jammed them together, on one shelf, it would have smoked like a single 17 lb butt (up to 34 hours). 

For the time, I believe that 2 butts, that size, is pretty tight in the #2.  What I missed was that while not jammed together on one shelf, they were probably jammed together on 2 (vertically, rather than horizontally)!  If there is good airspace between 2 large cuts, they will smoke as a single (time-wise).  But, if really close together, they will smoke for the combined weight.  So, 25 hours is not unreasonable, as it averaged 1.5 hrs/pound with combined weight.  Bet that was it.

Didn't mean to steer you wrong, Dave!  I just didn't consider them being so close together, vertically.

No fall here Tony, your advice was sound.  I dont really think the butts were too close vertically, top one was high as reasonable withiut crowding and the other shelf was right at the analog probe and I Sort of staggered one to the front and one closer back.  I think the biggest factor, as everyone has picked up on, must have been opening (repeat..."never open the door, never open the door, never open the door") uh....the door.  But hey, it was still great Q but if I was cooking for a group of waiting friends we'd have had to make a few extra runs tomthe package store :o
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »

Thanks Gregg,
Just curious how long you normally allow for 2 butts at 235 in your #3 ?  Im thinking @16 hours give or take?

I put them both on the same rack in my #3 and start smoking around 11:00pm-1200am. Then they are usually done mid to late afternoon. So yeah, I would say 14-18 hours usually. If they get done early, I pull, double-wrap, and cooler them for as much as 4 hours.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 05:48:53 AM »
I've never done 2 in my #2. i did do 2 in my 3. although it has more power, i had one on the top and one of the bottom and had one in the front and one in the back of the shelf.
i never opened the door.  one finished at 190 and the other was at 197. Since pulling pork butts anywhere between 190-200 works, they were both in the zone. i honestly noticed no difference in the 7 degrees.

I guess my point is i am not sure switching them mattered as i didnt do it. The 3D is however more consistent. maybe that plays in
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks for letting me off the hook, so to speak, Dave! ;)   That's really one of the things I like about our obsession hobby - unpredictability!  We control so many of the factors (prep, rub, flavor), but sometimes the meat has its own agenda!  After all, it's made by animals, and their quality control sucks!  Live and learn, my friend!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!