Author Topic: How much wood?  (Read 2854 times)

Lcole

How much wood?
« on: February 12, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
How do y'all determine how much wood you will need to use for your different meats. I have a brand new 2 and have 2 chunks of hickory left from what was sent with the unit from SI. I'm going to do a 15lb brisket in it and I'm trying to figure out how much wood I need. Now I've been doing some reading and noticed that y'all stray from store bought wood bec of the low moisture content and it catching fire. Can you not just seal your wood box well to keep the wood starved of O2 so it won't catch fire but will smolder? I've never brined a brisket only pork butts but I see a lot of y'all doing this as well. I think I'm gunna try a simple brine. Also about the water tray. Do you need it and if so where do you place it? Sorry for all the questions I know there will be a learning curve.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: How much wood?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
An inexpensive digital scale (I use an OXO). Weigh the chunk, lets say it weighs roughly 4 ounces.  Cut it in half and you have two 2 oz pieces. Cut one of them in half and now you have 1 oz pieces. If you want 3 ounces of wood, a 2 and a 1 does it.  5 ounces?  a 4 and a one.  Well, thats what I do. Some chunks start out larger or heavier, some lighter, and I make adjustments.  And I use a sharp hatchet. I like a light smoke so so a 2 or 3 ounce piece is plenty for my taste.  And the weights are an average. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
Welcome to the club! 8)   Now that you're with us, how about adding a first name and town to your signature line?  We like to know our new friends!  Also, head over to the Introductions section, when you can, and tell us about your BBQ background/experience.  We're here to help!

Here's a guide that will help you with wood amounts, and times/temps:

Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Wood

Less is more, with these smokers!  Use good quality wood (like Smokinlicious.com), and get a digital kitchen scale - it really helps to know just how much wood you're really adding!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:24:13 AM »
I seem to remember the hickory chunks that came with the smoker varied in size, so you'll have to weigh them to see what you have left. It would probably be enough for brisket if that's what you have on hand, and you don't want to buy wood from a big box store, or wait for an order from smokinlicious. These smokers don't require "special" wood. I've used Weber chunks with decent success. If using big box or Weber chunks, I would wrap foil around the bottom and sides of the wood chunk, about two-thirds of the way up, leaving the top third open, and had no problem with combustion. It's just that higher quality wood does make a difference in the quality of the smoke and flavor. If ordering from smokinlicious, order the double-filet. I ordered the 3 wood variety, choosing cherry, hickory and maple. They will also throw in a couple samples if you ask. I got samples of red oak and ash. You definitely want to use a water pan for beef and pork. Not for poultry though. I use a disposable aluminum bread pan. Place it on the floor of the smoker, right up against the wood box. I bend the lip of the disposable pan up on that side, so I get it snugged up nice. You can use apple juice or other flavorful liquid, but water is fine. I'm not convinced a flavored liquid really makes much difference.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide