Author Topic: #3 Cart question  (Read 7237 times)

johngalt

• Model #3
#3 Cart question
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »
Hi All,

Coming up on my 1 year anniversary of hooking up with a #3 and I've got to tell you the honeymoon is far from over. The only downside, and it's a small one, is having to get down on my knees to load her up..... Okay this went south quick!

But seriously, I'm thinking of getting one of the carts and a tall cover but I'm wondering as I store my setup out on an uncovered deck will the bottom shelf of the cart become a water reservoir and mosquito farm in the summer and a skating rink in the winter?

Thanks for any input or suggestions you may have.

Doug - Lexington, KY

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #3 Cart question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
Glad to hear the honeymoon's still going on, Doug!  If you use the long cover, with the standard cart, the bottom shelf is covered.  SI also has a new enclosed cart!  Check them out on the Smokin-It.com website.  I don't think you can go wrong, either way, as long as you have a cover.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

johngalt

• Model #3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
Thanks DM. I saw that enclosure and briefly thought about it. Don't have a clue what I'd store in it. Wood maybe. Might be nice if my extra racks would fit but no. I do have access to a fabrication shop where I work and could always modify the bottom pan of the cart if need be.

BTW, love your pork brine. Use it a lot. Thanks!
Doug - Lexington, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »
Thanks Doug!  Glad to hear you like it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NVW-SSV

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
I have this cart for my #2, and like the height.  I believe the #3 is the same width, so you should be ok.  I just use 2x4 lumber underneath the legs to get high enough to remove/install the drip pan.  You might have to put the wheels on for the same option.  Has worked well, I enjoy having shelving underneath.  YMMV -  can be found by searching "SHE99307" on amazon - I have the steel wire version. (top pic)

"SHE18304BZ" is another good option, with lower "rails" on the top shelf.  (bottom pic)

ALSO, Sam's club has one almost identical to these....for about $25-35 less.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/utility-cart/prod9070084.ip?navAction=

Still only good for garage / sheltered or otherwise tarped storage, but the shelves and wheels are Nice

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:40:43 AM by NVW-SSV »
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

johngalt

• Model #3
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:53 AM »
Jody,

Thanks for the input. Do you store your setup outside? How do you keep it covered?

I have to keep mine outside in the weather so I have it double bagged for protection.
I'll need something that can handle the exposure to extremes.
Doug - Lexington, KY

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
Doug, do you not have a SI cover?  They are HD and plastic lined for water protection.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:00 AM »
Doug...I have my #2 on the back deck and I just cover it with the SI cover.   The cover works great, and as Dave said, heavy duty.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Dave just answered the question I was going to pose and that was are these covers waterproof and/or resistant. I did feel that they are pretty heavy duty, but didn't really notice the lining.

I too have to keep my #3 stored outside on an open deck, so it's good to know that it's protected as well as it can be.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »
Doug, I have the enclosed cart for my 2D and store utensils, etc. in it.  It is totally covered by the cover I ordered when I ordered my smoker.  Smoker and cart are on my back porch which happens to be close to the Bogue Sound, which is also close to the ocean.  It works great, and I could probably store some wood inside without it getting wet but the temperature here on the coast of NC varies so much. 
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

johngalt

• Model #3
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
@All & @SuperDave,

I do have a cover that came with my #3 but it doesn't have a plastic lining. The sun has already attacked it and it's falling apart. I put a large plastic lawn bag over the #3 first and then the cover.
That's what sort of worries me about buying a cart for it and not being able to adequately protect it and the #3 from the elements. Anyway soon as the eagle lands I'll flip a coin between the cart and the cart with compartments. It's only money after all.  :o
Doug - Lexington, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »
Doug, the camo cover is much better than the old black ones.  Heavier cloth, and thicker vinyl inside.
Tony from NW Arkansas

johngalt

• Model #3
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip Tony
Doug - Lexington, KY

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
My black cover is a little over a year old and it appears to be made of Sunbrella or Topgun material with a heavy liner. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 08:37:59 PM »
My black cover is a little over a year old and it appears to be made of Sunbrella or Topgun material with a heavy liner.

I'll check with Steve, to see if the black ones are now made like the camo covers.  My black covers are almost 3 years old, and are much thinner than the 1 camo cover I have.  The camo one also has piping sewed around the seams, which strengthens them.
Tony from NW Arkansas