Author Topic: smoking pork loin with ribs also called prime rib of pork  (Read 4360 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

smoking pork loin with ribs also called prime rib of pork
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »
I have not seen any questions regarding smoking pork loin with ribs attached.  I am planning to smoke a 5 1/2 prime rib of pork Sat. and need help.  I plan to brine it overnight, Friday (tomorrow) and smoke it at 225 to an internal temp of 145.  Any suggestions?  How much wood and approximately how many hrs. to reach the internal temp?  Then I will reverse sear on my gas grill after allowing it to rest.  I have a great recipe for seasoning.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: smoking pork loin with ribs also called prime rib of pork
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
Susie, it should smoke like a boneless, but will taste better (I think anything with bones is better).  I'd plan on about 2.5-3.5 hours for it.  Sit it bone-side down.  Be sure to post pics! ;)   If it gets done early, you can always wrap/rest it, before searing.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
Susie-Q, Tony nailed it. Pork Loin has become one of my favorite smokes. I use about 2.5-3 ounces of wood. If you have sugar maple it is outstanding with pork. If not, hickory is another good choice.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:37:48 AM »
Thanks, Grampy and Tony.  This really helps.  I was thinking it might be 4-5 hours since my 4.25 lb beef boneless prime rib took 3 hrs.  Also, I thought it would need 3 1/2 to 4 oz. hickory.  I'd love to send pictures but I don't know how.  I take pictures with my iPhone but the forum website is on the computer.  So I assume I have to send the pictures to my computer and then. . .obviously, I'm not tech savvy!  Also how do I place the quote from another member in my reply?  Help me, Guys!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
When I do pictures, I use my phone and then email the pics to myself, then download on the computer that I am using to post to the forum.

To quote a post, click the "Quote" icon that is located in the top right of the post box.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
Thanks, Grampy and Tony.  This really helps.  I was thinking it might be 4-5 hours since my 4.25 lb beef boneless prime rib took 3 hrs.  Also, I thought it would need 3 1/2 to 4 oz. hickory.  I'd love to send pictures but I don't know how.  I take pictures with my iPhone but the forum website is on the computer.  So I assume I have to send the pictures to my computer and then. . .obviously, I'm not tech savvy!  Also how do I place the quote from another member in my reply?  Help me, Guys!

The pork will smoke much faster than beef. 

When you click "Quote," at the top of the post, it will appear in your text box.  Place your cursor at the end of the bottom "(/quote)" (I can't use the [ symbol, or you won't see it) and hit the return key a couple of times to get a couple of lines below it, then type your reply.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

JackT

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
To All Pork Loin Smokers:  This past weekend, I cooked an 8lb boneless loin cut in half. Although I've never brined my pork loins previously, I've experienced them being dry and thought it made sense to give brining a shot. Glad that I did! Let them brine for 24 hours and rubbed them well with my version of Magic Dust. Cooked at 235 on my 3D until an internal temp of 150. Took about 3 hours total to hit internal temp, and then I wrapped them in foil and set in a cooler covered for about 2 hours. They couldn't have come out better. They were juicy and by no means still pink. Smoked them with both apple and cherry wood and the flavor was excellent. Another Smokin-It success! Happy Smoking.

Jack
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

Grampy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
To All Pork Loin Smokers:  This past weekend, I cooked an 8lb boneless loin cut in half. Although I've never brined my pork loins previously, I've experienced them being dry and thought it made sense to give brining a shot. Glad that I did! Let them brine for 24 hours and rubbed them well with my version of Magic Dust. Cooked at 235 on my 3D until an internal temp of 150. Took about 3 hours total to hit internal temp, and then I wrapped them in foil and set in a cooler covered for about 2 hours. They couldn't have come out better. They were juicy and by no means still pink. Smoked them with both apple and cherry wood and the flavor was excellent. Another Smokin-It success! Happy Smoking.
Jack

Jack, I am glad you had a successful smoke! Like you, my experience with pork loins had been dry and never really cared for them. Since I started brining them and using my SI#2 pork loin has become one of my favorite smokes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:23:23 PM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

JackT

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
From this point forward, I'll think quite differently of pork loins as well. They were as tender as tenderloins usually are and clearly it was the combination of brining for more internal moisture and taste and limiting the internal temp to 150. As I know that there is probably a debate as to the perfect internal temp, for me the 150 was right on the money.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
Welcome to the magical world of brining, Jack! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
150 and wrapping and resting for two hours would definitely get them out of the "pink" zone, while still giving you a moist product. Probably ending up around 155+ with carryover cooking. I personally like a little pink, so I remove at 140, wrap and rest, and depend on carryover cooking to get me to 145. Gotta like a slight pink though.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JackT

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
Welcome to the magical world of brining, Jack!
Tony, I've brined my turkeys now for years and swear by it for moistness, however turkeys are known to be dry with the white meat. As for pork butts, I'll give it a try just for the hell of it, but have never had a moisture issue with butts. Loins on the other hand, definitely known to become dry and less tender than the tenderloins. In retrospect, I've never had anyone tell me any piece of meat was "too moist". As long as the final product is good, there will be no complaints!  Got a couple of tenderloins in the freezer to smoke soon,  and might just brine them to see just how moist they can be!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
As for pork butts, I'll give it a try just for the hell of it, but have never had a moisture issue with butts.

Got a couple of tenderloins in the freezer to smoke soon,  and might just brine them to see just how moist they can be!

As for butts, me neither, Jack...until I brined one!  Butts are typically always juicy, but I think brining them takes them to a whole new level!  Not between good and bad, but between better and best!

As for tenderloins - I always brine them, too!  Usually just 2-3 hours worth, since they're skinny. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas