Author Topic: Everglades Rub All Purpose aka "Monkey Dust"  (Read 3407 times)

Charliehustle

Everglades Rub All Purpose aka "Monkey Dust"
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
Tried this rub applied liberally on a couple racks of baby backs last night. My guests and I were impressed to say the least. I sauced one with Famous Dave's an hour prior til serving. Both were fantastic!
I prefer to run my #2 SI without a liquid pan.
Everglades has several other spicier blends and one without MSG's. I ordered mine thru Amazon and it came with small samples of packets of their most popular blends.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Everglades Rub All Purpose aka "Monkey Dust"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Charlie!  Curious...why no water pan?  Do you prefer a drier bark?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Charliehustle

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:19:16 AM »
I do prefer a dryer bark DivotMaker. Memphis style. I like my ribs moist/tender but not "falling" off the bone tender. I think that omitting the liquid pan can help keep the meat held together a little better. I tried using the small foil loaf pans on both sides of the burner but didn't care much for that method, it's not wrong, just not my taste. To me there's nothing worse than slicing for serving and having ribs that blow up like a piƱata. It's splitting hairs but that's me.
God bless, have a great week ya'll.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »
Thanks Charlie!  You are SO right!  No "wrong" or "right" answers, in BBQ! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ClubFord

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
I agree with CH.  Here in Naples, FL it is so humid, I end up with a mushy bark on brisket and soggy ribs.  It was driving me nuts.  So I omitted the water pans (same 2 mini loaf pans on either side of the heating element) when I did my last Boston Butt.  PERFECT bark.  So unless I run into a problem this winter when it gets a bit less humid, I intend to continue without the water pans.
Brad Miller - Naples, FL
Crossle 35F, Swift DB1, SRF Gen2, SRF Gen3 and a #3D Smoker