Author Topic: 4-Day Chuck Roast  (Read 10656 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
4-Day Chuck Roast
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
I seasoned a chuck roast, Tuesday evening, with Santa Maria steak seasoning, and into the Anova bath at 131°.  Timer set to 96 hours!  I took it out yesterday, and used the juice in the bag for a pan of au jus.  The roast got a sear on the gas grill, with help from the Searzall torch attachment.  The Searzall converts the flame to convection heat, so it's like a handheld broiler - works fantastic!

The flavor and tenderness of the roast was unbelievable!  Fork tender, and juicy.  Next one will be 3 days; I wanted to start with Kari's 4-day recipe for a baseline.  Very impressed with the roast, and the Searzall!

Sorry the finished pic is a little blurry. :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

Re: 4-Day Chuck Roast
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »
Nice Tony, I was curious about the searzall attachment.... this is sure a nice way to "elevate" a chuck roast!
Do you use the Searzall with Mapp or the regular propane?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:47:23 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Nice Tony, I was curious about the searzall attachment.... this is sure a nice way to "elevate" a chuck roast!
Do you use the Searzall with Mapp or the regular propane?

They specify you use the big camp-size propane bottles.  They don't recommend the tall bottles of MAPP or propane, due to the tipping hazard (top-heavy).  With the TS-8000 torch head, the propane gets plenty hot!  I have been using it to cook the tops of eggs, melt cheese, etc.  One of the best kitchen gadgets I've bought in a long time!  I plan to do a gadget review of the Searzall soon.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
The 3-day chuck roast I did was still very tender. As you try reducing the time, I assume the meat will just have more chew. And there is supposed to be some sort of flavor development that starts to happen after the second day. Some people might prefer more chew, and might consider the 4 day meat too tender. Not me though!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »
into the Anova bath at 131°.  Timer set to 96 hours!

Just curious, not critical but I have to question, 96 hours on the upper end of the danger-zone?

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »
into the Anova bath at 131°.  Timer set to 96 hours!

Just curious, not critical but I have to question, 96 hours on the upper end of the danger-zone?

I've been doing a lot of reading on SV lately, and I thought the same thing.  Apparently not, though - so long as you stay above 130, nothing "bad" can grow, and it's the length of time that pasteurizes whatever's being cooked.  I'm still alive today, and the meat tasted & smelled fantastic.

With that being said, I'm going to try 3 days, and compare the texture.  Next week, I'll be post-smoke finishing your pastrami recipe in the SV cooker.  Btw - your corned beef brine smells incredible!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »

The USDA temps are usually temps for dummies and provide essentially instantaneous bacteria reduction. You're able to get the same bacteria reduction at lower temps, when held for a longer period of time. It is actually a time and temperature continuum, but that is far too complicated for the general public. That's why you don't hear much about it...until you look. Bacteria start to die at 130, so if you hold beef at 130 long enough (112 minutes minimum) it will be safe.

For example, for beef, food safety temps are:
130 degrees for 112 minutes minimum,
140 degrees for 12 minutes minimum

The attached chart shows the time/temperature continuum. You can also see that poultry requires a slightly higher minimum temp than beef.

The chart comes from this website. A wealth of information. I'm really not sure what's up with the terrifying drawing of the man. I think it's supposed to be Dave Arnold of The French Culinary Institute in New York, the blogger. Could frighten small children half to death.
http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/sous-vide/part-i-introduction-to-low-temperature-cooking-and-sous-vide/

Also from that website, these charts and pictures are helpful (includes a larger size time/temp chart posted below).
http://www.cookingissues.com/uploads/Low_Temp_Charts.pdf

This sous vide thing is really pretty easy and foolproof once you figure out the time and temperatures.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:43:01 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »
Thanks, that chart makes it pretty clear. Also you gave a pretty clear explanation.

Would you consider posting that chart in the sous vide section as its own post, so it is easy to reference.

Thanks
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »
Thanks, that chart makes it pretty clear. Also you gave a pretty clear explanation.

Would you consider posting that chart in the sous vide section as its own post, so it is easy to reference.

Thanks

I will do that. I am also looking for some good basic time/temp guides for a variety of proteins, beyond just beef and poultry.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »
Chuck roast @ $2.99/# at my Schnucks, Guess what I'm eating Tuesday night!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »
Nice!  I know you'll show us pics, Bob!! ;)   Can't wait!
Tony from NW Arkansas

johnnytex

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 12:33:30 PM »
OK Kids. Been thinking about this and I'll bite.
My Anova got here yesterday.
Whats the scoop on the Chuck Roast?
Tex From Ennis, TX

icebob

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
salt, pepper, garlic powder, little bit of olive oil, seal in the pouch, in water bath @131f for 4 days... take it out, sear using your fav method, ( i like in the oven on a rack at 500f for 5 min) slice and serve! You just made poor man prime rib.
P.S. there will be enough juice in the pouch to make a nice au jus!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
salt, pepper, garlic powder, little bit of olive oil, seal in the pouch, in water bath @131f for 4 days... take it out, sear using your fav method, ( i like in the oven on a rack at 500f for 5 min) slice and serve! You just made poor man prime rib.
P.S. there will be enough juice in the pouch to make a nice au jus!

Nailed it!  You can use your rub of choice, Tex.  Season it like you would a prime rib, even if that's just a little kosher salt & black pepper (Dalmatian rub).  I used Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning, which is my favorite beef rub.  Next one I do will include a few pats of butter in the pouch.

You'll love the Anova!  I'm reheating some pork tenderloins I smoked last week.  It's set at 145, so I'll just let them swim for a couple of hours, and they'll come out just like the day they were smoked!
Tony from NW Arkansas

icebob

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
1 thing I found that made me like the Anova more is, I always buy my rib eyes at Sams, the whole slab, when I get home I trim it, slice it in individual steaks and foodsaver them with the spice (montreal steak in my case ) and a knob of butter and in the freezer they go. This way I can go straight from the freezer to the water bath, this is frikkin convenience right there 8)
Bob from Cahokia, IL