Author Topic: Hawaiian Kiawe (kee-ah-vey) wood  (Read 13465 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Hawaiian Kiawe (kee-ah-vey) wood
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »
Divot,

Just curious, did you get Smokinlicious to cut your chunks smaller?  If not, I'm now without a bandsaw and have been having a hard time cutting them down with a chisel and a hammer.  I guess I could use longer but thinner chunks but would rather have little squares.

Since most of the chunks seem to average about 4 oz, I only split them lengthwise, with the grain (very easy).  I see no need to shorten the length.  I like to keep it simple. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
For splitting chunks, a hatchet and hammer works great!  Set the hatchet on the line you want to split, and hit with the hammer.  Works better than a chisel, imo.
+1 The above is the way to go!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Divot,

Just curious, did you get Smokinlicious to cut your chunks smaller?  If not, I'm now without a bandsaw and have been having a hard time cutting them down with a chisel and a hammer.  I guess I could use longer but thinner chunks but would rather have little squares.
This is what I do.....If you have chunks use a hatchet and hammer to split the chunks along  the grain. I like to use chunks that are about 1/2 " thick.I shoot for about 1 1/2" square. I use a hatchet and 3 pound hammer to split the chunks.If I have chunks that are longer than the target length I them split them across the grain. At 1/2" thick it's a piece of cake!
The hammer and hatchet can be had for about $15.00 at Harbor Freight, slightly more at Home Depot and more still at Sears.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:21:56 PM by AlinMA »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
First full cook with these.   Good flavor, slow to ramp up?   I never did really get a "billowing" smoke.   Took 1/2 hour to see smoke.

Pics are after a 3 hr cook.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
First full cook with these.   Good flavor, slow to ramp up?   I never did really get a "billowing" smoke.   Took 1/2 hour to see smoke.

Pics are after a 3 hr cook.

John,

What did you smoke with the Kiawe?

My friend and neighbor next store used this with a mix of two other woods and he said his Pork Butt turned out great.

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »
The stuffed meatloaf I just posted.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 03:47:34 AM »
I'm on Maui now and just emailed the company, which is very near to my hotel (Waimea). If they can sell me some Kiawe wood, I wonder if I'll have issues getting it back?  Anyone have any idea?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »
I wonder if I'll have issues getting it back?  Anyone have any idea?

No way!  I mean, what could possibly go wrong?  You have it in a big plastic bag in your carry-on, and tell the TSA agent it's wood for "smoking"; he/she takes that as it's going to smoke in the aircraft, which translates into "it might be a smoldering bomb!"  Next thing you know, you're spread-eagle on the floor, and they're pulling out handcuffs and rubber gloves.... no problem, just a "slight" delay. :o

I'd throw it in a UPS box and send it home. ;) ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
+1 Mail it back, dont fight the man.   Or hassle.

darreldbeck

• Dive Dude
    • time flyz training
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
Thanks for tip. I was just about to order some new wood & now I know what I'll try.
Doug from Indiana
Dive more! Work less!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 03:29:56 AM »
I did speak with them. They are awesome. They did recommend I just have it shipped as usual. But did special cut it for me in smaller pieces! Great people!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »
Gotta love small companies like that, Libo! :)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »
Kiawe wood has arrived!  Smells great!!  I think I'll try it on shrimp tomorrow.

The Woodlands, Texas

oldrndrt

• oldrndirt
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
Greg, thanks for the link.  Just ordered the kiawe and guava.  It's now $32 per order.
John
from Missouri

Edward

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »
Received the goods today. Thank u Greg for the recommendation. Is everyone smoking this wood with the bark on or how ya doing it? I can't even imagine how to remove all this bark. I guess Smokinlicious got me spoiled.
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe