Author Topic: Corn on the cob  (Read 9552 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Corn on the cob
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
My wife said she saw another post by someone on Facebook that cut the end off after nuking. I don't see an advantage, other than maybe easier to cut? I do see myself getting burnt trying that method. Those puppies are hot when they come out of the microwave.

That was my thinking too. It is hotter and softer after cooking. Tony's probably got some reason for doing it that way. But I can't think of what it may be.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
Well, didn't mean to create such a controversy!  lol! :-[   No, I was all ready to try the cut first method until I saw some folks do it without.  My thinking was there would be less moisture-loss (mess) by cutting after.  I used my insulated BBQ gloves, so I wasn't worried about the heat.  You have to handle them anyway to get the corn out, right?  I just laid it on the cutting board, quickly sliced the stalk off (soft and easy), and squirted it out! 

I'll try it "cut first" next time to compare, but the bottom line is it works!  No matter how you "slice" it! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
I saw this on an internet video about the same time this conversation started. In the video they cut it after it was cooked and it looked pretty slick.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 02:41:53 AM »
Not really a controversy. I was just wondering why you thought cutting after was better.  :)

In the end I don't think it really matters.

One thing I did find out is that you have to squeeze them out right away. If you wait too long, they are hard to squeeze out.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »
I agree, Gregg!  You're right about getting them out quick, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 09:46:10 PM »
These were soaked in water for five minutes the went into the smoker. I ran them at 250 with 4oz of sugar maple and a 3lb pork loin to keep them company.

When done I tried cutting the end and sliding it out like your microwave method it worked as described.

They had a light smoke flavor, and are now preferred over grilled corn by the family. 
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:20 PM »
Nice, Brian!  Smoked corn has to be on my "to do" list!  Hey, if you can't smoke it, it probably ain't worth eating! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigbassnutt

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
Brian, how long did you leave the corn in at 250? It looks like they turned out great.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
exactly 2 hours I'm sure it could have come out a little sooner, but no negative affects.
- Sigmund Freud