Author Topic: Japaleno  (Read 4368 times)

Walt

Japaleno
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Received my #2 last night & seasoned it immediately. This afternoon I will be putting a chicken, hot sausage & stuffed jalapenos in. I don't see any info on the cooking duration for the japs on the site. 
My intent is to use a small piece of the included hickory & smoke the chicken until it hits 165. Guessing between 3 & 4 hours.  Would it be ok to leave the sausage & japs in with the chicken the whole time?

Let me know if I'm on the right track or need adjustments. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Christmas will be ribs, Cuban pork burnt ends, smoked gouda & cheddar mac & cheese, beans, coleslaw & bread pudding. All meat has been brined & is currently resting in the rub. Just waiting now.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Japaleno
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Welcome Walt.

You have 3 dissimilar foods and they each have their own 'smoked to perfection' point. I think you will need to experiment and keep notes regarding when each is done to your liking.  Not much help I know. You say you are smoking the chicken to an IT of 165, so I assume you have a remote thermometer. I would get a second thermometer to monitor the progress of the sausage as well.

As for the peppers, I just do not know.

You should get plenty of flavor from the single piece of wood. Each person has their own taste for smoke. You can always adjust to more or less on the next outing.

I hope this helps.  And your Christmas spread has me drooling.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
Well-put, Sarge!  Not much to add there, except a big "Welcome!" to Walt!  Glad to have you at our little smokin' soiree!  (Classin' it up around here - that's French for "party")!  Hope to hear what you learn on this particular smoke!  3 different items are hard to do at the same time!

Remember....we love pictures!  And, if you get a chance, post something about yourself in the Introductions section! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks Sarge & Divot. The stuffed Japs (philidelphia cream cheese, cheddar, smoked giuda, sour cream, bacon, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper) & Sausage (Louisiana hot & green onion) were perfect @ 3 hrs @ 225.  The chicken could have use more time. The skin was too soft but the flavor was great. I used about 2oz of apple & 2oz hickory with a juice pan. Overall an acceptable first outing.  It was really just a dress rehersal for Christmas.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »
Sounds like a successful first smoke, Walt!  You'll be amazed at the great times ahead of you with your #2!  The more you use these smokers, the more you'll learn about them - and their "unique" characteristics!  You can produce such really good Q with little effort!  It makes our stick-burner friends SO jealous!!

Can't wait to see your Christmas results!  Hope you snapped some pics of the chicken, sausage and japs for us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
Welcome and sounds like it was a great success. I want to try some stuffed poblano peppers some time after roasting the skins off.  This makes me want to try that after Christmas.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

rickne

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
Walt - Congrats. I made my first two passes at stuffed Jalapenos this week.  Learned a few things in the process but both batches turned out fantastic.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Walt

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
Rick,
Jalapeno peppers will have a reserved seat in my #2.  Love them. Saw the bacon wrapped ones yesterday definitely will be trying them. The poblanos sound great as well.  Let us know how they come out & what you did Benjamin.

My Christmas dinner plans ran into a little detour.  5.5 hours @ 225 for the ribs with a brief rewarm on the pit prior to serving, perfect!  The burnt ends turned out to be pulled pork.  When I woke up the Butt temp was 190 so missed my opportunity to cube & reseason @ 170. After 12.5 hrs @ 225 she reached 198 foiled stuffed in the ice chest to cuddle with the ribs for 7 hrs until the guests arrived.  Pulled & doused with a garlic mojo & shoved it in the warming drawer.I will have to try the burnt ends in a Cuban mojo sauce another time.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:52:24 PM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill