Author Topic: Texas-Style Wet Brisket Rub  (Read 15940 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Texas-Style Wet Brisket Rub
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »
Texas brisket purists will engage in hours-long heated debates about whether you should go with a simple salt & pepper rub as found in the Hill Country or whether you should get all fancy and add a little garlic powder.  Then they'll openly mock the competition teams who "pump" their meat with injections, alternately damn or praise the "Texas crutch", and nearly come to blows over whether to use a mustard schmear or just use elbow grease to work the rub into the brisket.

While I loves me some Hill Country brisket, I like to extend the flavor profile a bit and try to find a style that's accessible to everyone while respecting the spirit of those German and Czech immigrants who helped give Texas barbecue its unique identity.  This is a wet rub, which means you can use a yellow mustard or oil schmear to act as a binding agent for the spice rub.  I used to use a French's yellow mustard base but I tried using a ton of reserved bacon grease once and I doubt I'm ever going back ...

Texas-Style Wet Brisket Rub
2 Tbsp coarse grind black pepper
2 Tbsp ancho chili powder
2 Tbsp demerara sugar
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tsp dry mustard
2 Tsp garlic powder
2 Tsp onion powder
2 Tsp ground cumin
2 Tsp cayenne pepper
bacon fat (may substitute olive oil or even salted butter)

I actually lightly toast this spice rub immediately prior to application over low heat in a non-stick skillet.  Some of these ingredients are oil soluble so apply a healthy layer of cool bacon fat (should be congealed to the point of at least softened butter) and work into the trimmed brisket; if you want to inject your meat you should do so prior to this step.  Then, apply the rub to the bacon fat and pat until well incorporated, wrap in plastic wrap and hold in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours prior to smoking.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:23:16 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: Texas-Style Wet Brisket Rub
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »
You had me at "bacon fat."   ;D

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Phil:  "That's what she said".
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
OMG!  Bacon grease as a binder for the rub??  Joe, you're a genius!  I'd have never thought of that!  Way to think outside the box!! ;D   Isn't much in life that isn't better with a little bacon grease!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
BTW, a little confusion here...if you apply spices to the meat without any prep, is it a "dry" rub?  If you coat the meat with a binding agent, like mustard, oil, bacon grease, etc., and then apply the same spices, is it now a "wet" rub? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
There's no 100% correct nomenclature but the old timers here in Texas do make a distinction.  My understanding is if you use a binding agent like mustard or oil it does constitute a wet rub but many restaurants do it and still label their product as dry rub.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
Makes sense.  I guess if you added any type of liquid to a dry rub to make a slurry, it would basically have the same effect.  I'd trust the opinions of the "old timers" from Texas - they know a thing or two about their Q down there!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Spresso

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »
how'd I miss this....

I think this is a lot more up my alley type of Brisket rub than just plain Pepper and salt....
the use of cumin is interesting.

and good call on the bacon grease!.
I used oil last time.   
Once I used left over grease from 2 pulled pork drippings as a base of a rub (on chicken).  It was delish!

I think I'll render bacon fat just for this purpose.!  ;D
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
how'd I miss this....

I think this is a lot more up my alley type of Brisket rub than just plain Pepper and salt....
the use of cumin is interesting.

and good call on the bacon grease!.
I used oil last time.   
Once I used left over grease from 2 pulled pork drippings as a base of a rub (on chicken).  It was delish!

I think I'll render bacon fat just for this purpose.!  ;D

So, Zed, I guess "rendering bacon fat" is now a valid excuse for frying a good batch of bacon (like we needed another good reason)!  Mmmm....bacon! ;D   I think that's what I tell the wife next time I fry-up a pan of Petit Jean hickory smoked bacon to munch on in the evening.  I mean, really, you can't just throw it away once you've "rendered the fat!"  lol  "No, really honey, it's for the bbq ingredients!"   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

McSev2010

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
....or you could mix a little JD's Bacon Rub with Parkay squeeze top margarine for a similar effect.

http://baconsalt.3dcartstores.com/JDs-Bacon-Rub_p_120.html

It's not salty and the bacon flavor is pretty good - smoky/sweet.