Author Topic: Turkey Food Science  (Read 1800 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Turkey Food Science
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
Did two in bone turkey breasts in the past couple of weeks.  Each temped perfect and turned out perfect, though each took 8+ hours to get to temp

One was frozen injected from store, one was fresh butcher shop.  So I guess that doesn’t make a difference.

The 2nd one I temped the box, with thermostat set at 240.

Swings were 275 high, kick back on at 230 low.  Looks like the box is performing well.

What am I missing for those that finish turkey in 4 hours?   Wondering minds are curious……….

I can see give or take an hour or so per recipe or other factors, but 4+ ???

Even the “jeff” website says 5 -6 hours for an inbone breast.

Happy cooking.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Turkey Food Science
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »
I don't know, John.  I've never done just a breast before.  I know brining reduces cook time, so maybe that's it?  I did a 14 lb whole bird Thursday, and this one did take 5.5 hours.  The only thing I did different, on this one, was I stuffed it really full of mire poix that was cold (chopped the night before, and kept in the fridge).  I usually use room-temp veggies right before smoking, so that may account for my additional hour.  I did one at 275 that was done in 3:45!  I can't explain it....it's just what I've experienced.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Turkey Food Science
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
I don't either, John.  I did two 7# turkey breasts side by side in my #2 on Thursday, and they were brined.   While I normally need 4 hours, these breasts were done within 3 hours and I kept probing with another therm just to make sure...yep, they were done.  I was smoking at 235F.  Really had me scratching my head when the week before I did one of the same brand it took exactly 4 hours.   In my case, the double load might have made a difference on Thursday.    I still have no idea why your breasts would sooooo much more time.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2