Author Topic: Pork Bone In Sirloin Roast in #1 Smoker  (Read 3321 times)

Nola Belle

Pork Bone In Sirloin Roast in #1 Smoker
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »
I've had this smoker for about a year now, and have not been disappointed in anything I've done so far. But this is the first time doing a big hunk of meat like a roast. At best, prior experience using a probe thermometer was with a meatloaf that was excellent.

My question here today is: Should I brine this roast and then use a dry rub? I tend to prefer the no peek method, so what temp is best, and approximate time to start before checking. Any observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The roast is approximately 3.5 lbs.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork Bone In Sirloin Roast in #1 Smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
I couldn't locate anything specific to a bone in pork sirloin. I would suspect that it should be no different to a small bone in butt. Plenty of help in the pork section.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Nola Belle

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
Thanks for checking stuff out. The plan is to brine it, rub it, and smoke it with a probe thermometer for temp. In my smoking endeavors, I tend to overcook things slightly. Since this is the first "hunk" of meat, as opposed to ribs or pieces, I'll keep a good eye on the thermometer. Thanks for your response :)  I'll go read the pork section to get an idea on time and temp.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
Hi Nola!  I haven't chimed in on this one yet, because I'm not sure what to say.  I'm not familiar with a bone-in sirloin pork roast...is that what was on the label?  I'm just trying to figure-out what cut that is.  This is important because it will make a difference, depending on what results you're looking for, i.e., sliced or pulled pork.

At any rate, brining is always a good idea with pork!  You won't need to let it swim in the pool very long, maybe 4-5 hours.  3.5 lbs is pretty small, for a pork roast of any kind.  If you plan to slice it, take it to no more than 175 internal temp.  For pulled pork, 190-195. 

For your next "big hunk," I recommend something like a bone-in Boston butt (pork shoulder), greater than 7 lbs.  The reason I say this is that those little cuts cook unpredictably.  Pork isn't as bad as beef, about that, but they can fool you. 

Sorry I can't be of more help, but this one was a bit of a puzzler for me!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:29:58 AM »
I would assume this is a fairly lean piece of meat. Probably a comparable muscle to the sirloin cut on beef (between the loin and the ham). Fairly lean, and not particularly tender, but not super tough either. If I had to guess, I would think you'd cook/smoke it similar to how you would smoke a pork loin. Lower temp, and probably sliced thin.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:33:28 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide