Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70572 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
But, I like to try new things. So, I'll probably ask for some samples of the Oaks and Ash.

Just ask Donna for some samples.  Tell her I sent you - she'll take great care of you!  (which she would do, anyways ;) )  I just want her to know how many folks are coming their way from Smokin-It!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
But, I like to try new things. So, I'll probably ask for some samples of the Oaks and Ash.

Just ask Donna for some samples.  Tell her I sent you - she'll take great care of you!  (which she would do, anyways ;) )  I just want her to know how many folks are coming their way from Smokin-It!

Will do.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »
My first order of wood for my new model2D was from smokinlicious based on studying different websites.  Then I talked to Donna and was sure I made the right decision.  She suggested that I leave the wood in the cardboard box it came in; leave the top open; and punch holes in the sides of the box.  I keep it in my garage. . .dry and cool.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Jeffinn

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
I received my first order from SmokinLicious last week and used some of it while smoking some bacon.
Awesome quality, top notch customer service and super quick delivery! This place rocks!
Jeff

DivotMaker

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2016, 05:32:43 PM »
I received my first order from SmokinLicious last week and used some of it while smoking some bacon.
Awesome quality, top notch customer service and super quick delivery! This place rocks!

+1!  Now you see why we like them so much! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

drains

« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2016, 08:02:08 AM »
I think their wood is a great value also. The wood is so clean and bark free. I have had no problems whatsoever. The box I bought isn't even half empty yet so I'm good for a while.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

eclecticitguy

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2016, 02:34:46 PM »
I ordered some wood from smokinlicous and it arrived today.  Everything looks good except I have a really dumb question...  Which wood is which in the box??  I ordered Hickory, Maple, and Cherry and I'm definitely no wood expert so I can't tell which is which.  Are they supposed to be labeled somehow?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »
Will, in the boxes I've bought, the type of wood is stamped on the box lid flap, at the end of the row.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:00:50 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

eclecticitguy

« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
Yeah I saw the picture from your very first post and noticed the stamps on the box.  Unfortunately, my box had no stamps on it whatsoever.  Until I talk to Donna, I'm going to assume that the box was loaded from left to right in the same order as the wood moisture levels are noted on the paper included with the shipment.  I was hoping there was another way to tell but it doesn't sound like there is. 
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
Will, can you post a picture of the open box?  Your wood choices are different enough that we might be able to identify by sight.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

eclecticitguy

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »
Here is a picture of the wood and the sheet from Smokinlicious.  If anyone could help me identify the wood, I'd be greatly appreciative. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:50:35 PM by eclecticitguy »
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Hickory, maple, cherry....left to right, in your pic. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

eclecticitguy

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
Hickory, maple, cherry....left to right, in your pic. ;)

Thanks, Tony!  I guess I used Maple to smoke my first rack of ribs then.  Haha. 
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

Nimrod

« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2016, 05:56:48 PM »
I ordered a Smokenlicious variety box myself but just wondering if there are any do's or don'ts about self sourced wood?

We have a lot of trees in East Texas (as many of you as well) from cherry to hickory and especially post oak RG.  The pit folks use it by the truckload so is it the same for smoking purposes?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2016, 06:47:45 PM »
Dave, if you have access to good, clean wood, take it!  The only thing about self-sourced wood is you need to watch the moisture content.  You certainly don't want to smoke it green, but not too dry, either.  Let it season, with good airflow around it, in a cool, dry place.  Once the moisture content gets around 30% or less, you're good to go!  You can cut it into chunks first, and it will season faster.
Tony from NW Arkansas