Author Topic: Handles for the smoker  (Read 13068 times)

es1025

Handles for the smoker
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I sure could use two handles to lift the smoker onto my deck.  I made a make shift ramp but unfortunately it's a bit clumsy.  Sure could use some attachable handles to lift up the smoker.  Thoughts?
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Handles for the smoker
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
I would suggest that you would need a rather stout and large backer plate (or some serious washers) to keep the mounting bolts from pulling through or deforming the interior wall of your smoker when lifting and carrying.  You may want a similar setup on the exterior as well. It would be there to spread out the stress evenly.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Ed, as a stopgap measure you might consider these if you've got an extra set of hands:  http://www.amazon.com/Above-All-Forearm-Forklift-Lifting/dp/B008ASBLJI

I used them in college when we'd help freshmen move in the first week of school and while they're not perfect they get the job done with little stress and strain.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Spresso

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
Joe, how do you know all these great tools man?
The Forearm Forklift has been working out great for me, I have had a pair for a long time.
Just ruined one this weekend carrying 300lbs stepping stones for our backyard. The second one had a very sharp edge we didn't notice. cut it half way through, but we were still able to lift the last one in place as well...
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
Let's just say I'm a "Renaissance man" who happens to spend somewhat impulsively ...  ;)
Joe from Houston, TX

es1025

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:30 AM »
Joe, I saw those at home depot. I almost bought them. I think I will re consider. The ramp I made was originally for my shed, but I was trying to make it a multi tasker like Alton brown.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »
Ed, they make three different styles:  one with the straps over your forearms, one with the straps over your shoulders, and one lighter weight one with hand grips.  I think with the relatively light weight of a smoker the forearm one would be fine (and it's the only one I've used).  If I were to help someone move (now that I'm getting older and some sports related stuff) I'd probably grab the one with shoulder straps; the one with the handles is nice but you'd have to get a bit lower to the ground and it would put some strain on your lower back.

Amazon listed several types, all pretty inexpensive.  I think this will help you get the job done until Steve starts to sell a jetpack to move the Smokin-Its from point A to point B.   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »
I've thought about this issue for my #1, and plan to install 2 aluminum handles on the sides.  The #1 doesn't weigh that much, but it's awkward to lift.  I plan on getting heavy-duty handles from Lowes, and then mounting them by drilling holes through the sides and using stainless steel machine screws and cap nuts.  Of course, flat washers on the inside.  The stainless skin and interior, sandwiched with the insulation, should be strong enough to carry the load easily.  I'll let you know how it goes - and post pics!

As for the #3, I would probably go with two handles mounted to the top of the unit in the same fashion, except use the large-diameter "body" washers on the inside.  I just can't imagine short-duration lifts causing any deformation of the double-wall skin...these things just aren't that heavy.  It's not like you're trying to lift them fully loaded with meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Spresso

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:48 PM »
Toni, you may get away with the handles mounted like that on the #1.  I think the #3 is pretty heavy.

One thing to keep in mind when you are making the change is when you tighten the screws make sure you don't over-tighten them, causing the sandwich to squeeze together too much. The stainless walls are not THAT thick.

Funny my coffee machine is heavier than the #1.
3/32 thick stainless sides.  You could put handles on that  ;D
Ok, no more coffee talk  :-X
Smokin-It-all on the #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
Toni, you may get away with the handles mounted like that on the #1.  I think the #3 is pretty heavy.

One thing to keep in mind when you are making the change is when you tighten the screws make sure you don't over-tighten them, causing the sandwich to squeeze together too much. The stainless walls are not THAT thick.

Funny my coffee machine is heavier than the #1.
3/32 thick stainless sides.  You could put handles on that  ;D
Ok, no more coffee talk  :-X

Zed, I would probably use post bolts (knife handle bolts) to minimize the squeezing, and most likely a reinforcement plate.  I think it's doable.  I know you could throw the #1 across the yard pretty easily, but the heavier units could be retro'd too.  It would just take a little good "redneck engineering."  ;D

And no, it doesn't surprise me that your coffee maker is heavier than my smoker! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
We are looking at putting recessed handles into our smokers.  We will let you know if they work out. 
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »
We are looking at putting recessed handles into our smokers.  We will let you know if they work out.

Way to go, Ben!  Sure would make life a lot easier!  Kudos on the #4, btw; that's a beautiful beast!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Spresso

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »
it's good to hear you guys don't sit on your laurels and continue to look for improvements....
 8)
Smokin-It-all on the #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »
it's good to hear you guys don't sit on your laurels and continue to look for improvements....
 8)

I'd say the #4 is proof of that!  Those guys been busy!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 10:45:07 PM »
Hey Ben, any word on the handle mod yet?
Tony from NW Arkansas