Author Topic: Leg extensions  (Read 10980 times)

Spresso

Leg extensions
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »
For some of us with space restraints and or price concerns,  simple leg extensions would come in handy to raise our smokers.
Perhaps 10 or 12 inches would do.  I`d get a set if you offered...
Otherwise I`ll just have to make some myself  ;)
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Leg extensions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
Honestly, this would be a heck of an option for many of us.  Good call on this suggestion, Spresso ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:27 AM »
What a great idea. I would prefer leg extensions over the cart any day. What about a little front shelf that mounts to the leg extensions. Would sure help with loading and unloading..........

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
The front shelf would be a nice thing as well ... it would also help reduce drips on the concrete (or deck) from marinades, meat juices and sauces.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
Hmmm.... gonna put my thinking cap on.  I'll get back to you! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RunItRagged

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
Still thinking, Divot???

Here's what I did.  Not pretty but better than kneeling down.

Four butts are in there now, smokin' their heart out for me.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Pretty old thread...no longer thinking leg extensions.  I kept mine on a solid miter saw table (perfect height), and now have a Smokin-It cart.  No need to reinvent the wheel, for me.  I'm worried about stability.

Those risers you're using look like the ticket, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
All:

Unless you want merely say 6" extensions... I would recommend just getting the cart - I'd be worried about tipping and stability.

For starters, it is stainless steel, tough stuff, and no rust.

No hassle - upon arrival you are set. If one considers let's say making something out of wood or steel, there's time and material involved and so forth, it will rust or rot and need painted every year.

The only thing that would make the cart better is if it had a drawer option and or a front shelf that mounted in an easy secure fashion... But at some point you have an over designed cart that would cost a heckuva lot more.

I'm fine with it as is and I have made a few mods so far... And if I want to add some other custom features I can do those over time... Such as adding utensil hooks and so on.

Attached again is the mod done to the tables to secure the in place to prevent a bump and fall

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:29 PM »
Definitely a good mod, Steve, on the shelves!  I think you could also just drill the hole through both and use a hitch pin to keep the shelf from sliding.  That way, they'd still fold quickly (without a screwdriver), but would keep them from sliding out of the slots.  Just a thought...
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:18 AM »
Divot

Right on! Using the screws are temporary until I get to the hardware store. :-)

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:29 AM »
I guess great minds think alike, Steve! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Etex

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
I am thinking of putting a shelf across the side supports to place small items like the rolls of foil and storing other small items.  Any ideas or has anyone done this.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
Divot:
I'm not a great mind but I am persistent. :-)

Etex:
Do you mean underneath? Or a second shelf so to speak? I thought of this too. However I went with 4 Rubbermaid containers that fit underneath. One has the Auber. One has wood chunks. One has recipes. One has a scale.

All told there just wasn't enough room to do it all underneath. So I decided just to keep my supplies in the cart.

Lemme know if you have any ideas or if you run some mods to the cart. I think there are endless possibilities. A bottle opener seems pretty important for summer time.

Etex

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »

Etex:
Do you mean underneath? Or a second shelf so to speak? I thought of this too. However I went with 4 Rubbermaid containers that fit underneath. One has the Auber. One has wood chunks. One has recipes. One has a scale.

Thanks.
That is a good idea to keep things organized on the bottom shelf and I will probably do that.  There is a bar across the front and back just under the pan.    A little too close to the pan to be of use, but I was thinking that the two that run from front to back on the sides might be useful as a shelf.  I am going to think some more on it and will let you know if I come up with something.

1stlink

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
I bought a commercial kitchen stand for $99 delivered. I ordered it large enough to accommodate the number 1, number 2, or number 3 in case I ever want to buy a larger unit in the future. It is made of 16 gauge stainless steel. Unfortunately I had to buy new casters also as the legs required a different type. They cost another $13 plus $13 shipping and handling.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:33:19 PM by 1stlink »