Author Topic: A taste of things to come!  (Read 23014 times)

smokeasaurus

Re: A taste of things to come!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
A mole was placed at Cookshack Corporate with a secret camera and here is the reaction of a Cookshack Executive upon hearing about the Smokin-It Big Daddy  ;D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Way to go, Smoke!  Looks like a Pulitzer-winning undercover story in the works!  Hahaha!  I bet the design team is on full-alert!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:42 PM »
Let's see if it is analog or digital.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
Let's see if it is analog or digital.

Wish they had a digital retro-fit for the current models.  Even the cheapie big-box store electrics have digital controls; seems like it would an easy conversion for the best smokers on the market today!   Maybe some day...! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
I actually prefer the analog system ...

My reasoning is one of the same concepts I encourage my students to follow when they're working on their master's thesis or degrees:  KISS ... Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The more "moving parts" a machine has, the more likely it is to break.  With the Smokin-It's, a rheostat and a heating element are the parts that would likely meet an untimely demise and both are inexpensive and easy to swap out.  Throw a computer control unit into the mix and while you might see an increase in temp stability (which won't show significant gains in final product quality) you're also seeing a likely major expense for replacement.  Moreover, the rheostat and heating element are basically plug-and-play while someone who isn't  technically inclined might have some reservations about replacing a board or digital display.

There is a genuine elegance in the simplicity of the current design ...  8)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 07:31:34 AM »
Wow, now that's a game changer. I am perfectly content with my #3, but if I was running a side business that's the one for me.  Hopefully, the enhancements in the new machine can be adapted for our machines.  The W heating element.. Just a thought.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

smokeasaurus

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »

My reasoning is one of the same concepts I encourage my students to follow when they're working on their master's thesis or degrees:  KISS ... Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The more "moving parts" a machine has, the more likely it is to break.  With the Smokin-It's, a rheostat and a heating element are the parts that would likely meet an untimely demise and both are inexpensive and easy to swap out.  Throw a computer control unit into the mix and while you might see an increase in temp stability (which won't show significant gains in final product quality) you're also seeing a likely major expense for replacement.  Moreover, the rheostat and heating element are basically plug-and-play while someone who isn't  technically inclined might have some reservations about replacing a board or digital display.

Very well put and I couldn't agree more. The cost of the Smokin-its will go up as well........

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

I concede; very good point, and a case well-stated!   
Tony from NW Arkansas

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
We are looking at offering a digital option for some of the models.  We will continue to offer the analogs even after the digitals come out. 
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
We are looking at offering a digital option for some of the models.  We will continue to offer the analogs even after the digitals come out.

Nice.  You'll satisfy the "techies" like me out there!  I definitely agree digital controllers may not be for everyone, and there's sound arguments here against them...but there are definitely those of us who would enjoy at least having the option available.  Thanks Ben.
Tony from NW Arkansas

bordercollie

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
Wow! That looks like the ticket for those that have big family get togethers .  If it is made like my #3 (tank) then wow x 4.  :)   Congrats!   

BurleyQue

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »
Guys, if I can just put my 2 cents worth in...

I'm a very happy owner of a #2. I would have gladly bought a #3, but I'd just finished a new outdoor BBQ/Kitchen with a spot custom made for a #2, but not big enough for a #3.

In fact, I'm a bit intrigued by the fact that the new Big Daddy may have a smaller footprint that might fit in my existing outdoor kitchen.

But frankly, some of the comments about Cookshack I find a bit offensive. I'm all for competition, that's the American way, and was delighted with Steve's offering, but let's give the Cookshack folks their due. They pioneered the whole electric Lazy-Que market. Without them, Smokin-It or Smokin-Tex probably wouldn't be here today, and we'd all still be slaving over stickburners or those expensive puckers from Bradley.

Besides, they're good, honest and fair people. I never had any problems with them, and I still don't. I just happen to think Steve has come up with a better alternative for the home BBQer, while Cookshack seems to be focusing more on the competition and commercial markets.

I think every one of us owes those folks in Oklahoma our gratitude and our respect for everything they've done for our little part of the BBQ world.

There. I've said my piece, now lets get back to Qing. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:52:37 PM by BurleyQue »

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
For those that may have been offended by our friendly competition about the Cookshack cookers - don't be.  You're taking it way too seriously!  Really, just a little fun!  Yes, Cookshack is a fine product, but some of us think the little upstarts (e.g., Smokin-It) are making some nervous, and maybe bringing reality into play.  Cookshack, while a pioneer and great product, no longer "corner" the market.

For those brand new to the forum, I'd recommend looking around a bit before being too "offended" by this crew.  You'll find we're just a bunch of folks who love good Q, and don't mind a little friendly fun. ;D

...Henry Ford deserves the credit he's due for starting it all, but I still love to poke fun at Ford owners (GM-man).  LOL

Welcome to the party, BurleyQue.  Your 2-cents is welcome here anytime!
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
Burley, I second that this is just a bit of ribbing.  In fact, one of the longest-serving members of this forum is Old Sarge who is the very proud owner of a Cookshack ... he just is a fan of all BBQ discussions. 

Honestly, the Smokin-Its, the Cookshack products, and SmokinTex units are all top shelf smokers ... but I think most of us would agree that the bang-for-your-buck factor is what drew us to Smokin-It, along with exemplary customer service.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
Well-said, Joe!
Tony from NW Arkansas