Author Topic: First Bacon, cure question  (Read 5534 times)

Roostershooter

First Bacon, cure question
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
I am in the process of doing a dry brine on a 4.7 pound belly, my first bacon.  The recipe called for 2 ts of pink cure salt for 5 pounds.  I ended up putting in about 1 3/4 ts in the cure.  I have read that typically only 1 ts is needed for 5 pounds of meat but have seen recipes with more.  Does anyone see a problem using the amount of pink salt for this bacon. 

5lb belly
1/4 cup kosher salt
2ts pink salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2TB red pepper flakes
2TB paprika
1ts cumin

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:58:40 PM by Roostershooter »

Lonzinomaker

Re: First Bacon, cure question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
2 tsp seems like a lot.
I use an online calculator, http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/ for bacon. Takes the guess work out.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
The recipe Basic Dry Cure is listed in this post: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.0
By using premixed Dry cure you salt, sugar and curing salt levels are set. You just apply a reasonable amount to the meat and shake off the excess. That link I gave you is pretty full of pictures to give you a good idea of how much cure you need on the meat. Lots of folks do the math and EQ cure but I don't find a need to, I get good results like this.

You don't need to overthink bacon production, for generations cure was rubbed in by the handful and the meat left to cure on a bench in the shed during cool weather. 
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
Thanks Brian.  Sounds like simple way to approach bacon and just add in preferred seasonings.  I will try this next bacon. 

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
Your we;come, I am not on here as much anymore but try to give some decent advise when I am. Just remember it takes far less Cure mix than you think. I use about 1/3 of a cup per side of a whole belly. every time I shos someone new they say "that's all?"
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:03:38 PM »
I just hope that this first bacon is not over done with the pink salt. 

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
if it is it is not an amount that you will physically react to.
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
I have no idea so I guess i will find out when i eat it!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »
I agree with Brian. You should be fine. Let us know how the flavor profile works out. I am interested in seeing what you think.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »
Rooster, the amount of pink salt varies widely across the so-called authorities. Below are what I have compiled from reputable sources:

1 tsp (5.67 grams) per 5 pounds of meat is what Martin (DiggingDogFarm) says (maybe this is for an equilibrium brine rather than a dry brine?), but when I have looked up other actual recipes, it is usually more like these amounts:

2 teaspoons for 5 pounds of belly: Michael Ruhlman, Steve Raichlen, Michael Symon

1/2 teaspoon per 1 pound of belly: amazingribs.com (so a 5 pound belly would be 2-1/2 teaspoons)

2 teaspoons for 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of belly: Traeger Grills recipe (a whopping 4+ teaspoons per 5 pound belly)

So you can see it varies a lot. I have also read that the MAXIMUM is 1 tsp per pound, but you would never want to use that much.

You are fine. I use 2 teaspoons per 5 pound belly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:58:31 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
Ok, good to know.  The numbers do vary quite a bit.  I think I am using the Symon recipe.  I have a few more days in the fridge before I smoke the belly but will report back with pictures and a review of how this turned out.  It looks great!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Ok, good to know.  The numbers do vary quite a bit.  I think I am using the Symon recipe.  I have a few more days in the fridge before I smoke the belly but will report back with pictures and a review of how this turned out.  It looks great!

If you are using my cure recipe, you are using the Symon/Raichlen/Ruhlman proportions. I based it off of those. 3 people I trust when it comes to pork and charcuterie. 2 teaspoons per 5 pounds. It's also kind of in the middle of the range, so I feel pretty comfortable with this.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »
The bacon is done and I could not be happier with the end result.  Great flavor and taste.  Not too salty, the right amount of smoke.  I used 4 ounces of sugar maple to do the smoking.  I dont think i would change a thing on this recipe.

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »
Looks great to me! Glad it worked out for you.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
Fine-looking bacon! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!