Author Topic: svegg sous vide weights  (Read 4342 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
svegg sous vide weights
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
I've seen a couple youtube videos by Sous Vide Everything where they used these svegg weights. They said they are prototypes sent to them by a subscriber. They look interesting. I wonder how much these golden eggs will cost. Normally I use stainless steel butter knives, either sealed in a separate bag and clipped over my food bag, or double vac seal, with food in the inner bag, and butter knives in the second outer bag. I don't want to put metal directly in my food bag, so these look interesting, easy to clean, no need to rig up steel racks, carefully placed tongs, silverware, heavy objects, etc.  https://thesvegg.com/
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

Re: svegg sous vide weights
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:59:22 AM »
Looks good. I couldn't get the email site to work, but I sent an email via the Contact Us option. Thanks for sharing.
Brian from Wichita

SconnieQ

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
Looks good. I couldn't get the email site to work, but I sent an email via the Contact Us option. Thanks for sharing.

I had the same problem with the form on their home page giving me an error message. Somehow, I found a different link where the form worked, but I can't find that link again. I have contacted them to let them know about the form not working, and also requested more info on when they might launch on Kickstarter.

UPDATE: My email from the "Contact Us" on their webpage bounced back to me and did not go through. The message was "<info@thesvegg.com> User unknown". I'll try to contact them on their Facebook page.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:45:55 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:44:11 PM »
Those are interesting Kari. I was using clips with spoons like you mentioned when I first got the SV when needed but the clips are already rusting a bit and I think the plastic may have melted a tad on the 21 hour cook I did. so going to have to find a different avenue to weigh the bags down when I use zipper lock bags.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
Those are interesting Kari. I was using clips with spoons like you mentioned when I first got the SV when needed but the clips are already rusting a bit and I think the plastic may have melted a tad on the 21 hour cook I did. so going to have to find a different avenue to weigh the bags down when I use zipper lock bags.

It's not just zipper locks. Things like vegetables which contain air, and might produce gas, along with fatty things like pork belly, will float, even if fully vac sealed. For meat, even if a tiny part of it is floating at water level in a long sous vide, it could ruin the taste, as well as the safety.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
Those are cool, Kari - Thanks!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheSvegg

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:07:08 PM »
Hey guys,

So, let me tell you a bit about what's going on with the Svegg.

Yes, we sent prototypes out to a few people, and we were ready to get it all rolling, then the two of us working on it got blindsided by life.  Major stuff, one major organ and one marriage less, we're getting back to it.  Our intention is to launch a kickstarter in a month or two. 

When we have that going, or some solid updates, I'll share info.

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Yes, we sent prototypes out to a few people, and we were ready to get it all rolling, then the two of us working on it got blindsided by life.  Major stuff, one major organ and one marriage less, we're getting back to it.  Our intention is to launch a kickstarter in a month or two. 

Thanks for the update. I have since purchased other sous vide weights. But not nearly as cool as the Svegg. I look forward to the Kickstarter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN6BV5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the update. I have since purchased other sous vide weights. But not nearly as cool as the Svegg. I look forward to the Kickstarter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN6BV5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the same one and they are great, I also bought Sous Vide Magnets that I use a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XNSDW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best Greg

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »
Has anybody tried the stainless steel "soap" bars? Not sure if they are too big or not. Hope this link works:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XN46M34/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_X6EkEbT73Z8EY
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 03:41:18 PM »
Has anybody tried the stainless steel "soap" bars? Not sure if they are too big or not. Hope this link works:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XN46M34/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_X6EkEbT73Z8EY

It says they are only 0.52 oz, and hollow, so they'd float and not work.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TheSvegg

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
So the story about what we were trying to do...

I had seen various things people used, glass, metals, magnets, and then I talked to a buddy that is a metalurgist about my concerns.  We ultimately decided that 316 (medical grade) stainless was good, but then we saw that the salt, fat, and acid that makes food taste good was still a bit rough on it.  Plus a lot of the other stuff, including flatware, there is a question what would leach out.  Also, if you ever used stuff like liquid smoke, you'd know the bags were decently permiable.

I cook for people I love, and I don't want to expose them to bad stuff, especially my little boy, so we tried to sort out the best option.  The gold actually serves a purpose, in that it's among the most resistant materials out there. 

We also figured 10oz was enough to sink just about anything.  So yeah, that's how we wound up with the svegg.