Author Topic: Dumb Question  (Read 5910 times)

Hank R

Dumb Question
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
Having never smoke meat before would I be smart to start with a Model 1 or save up my money and get a larger model?? I guess I am asking how many wish they had a 2 instead.  As I am sure the Mrs. is only going to approve 1 purchase. ;) ;) Thanks
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

Grampy

Re: Dumb Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
Welcome from Southwest Arkansas Hank! Around here there is no such thing as a dumb question. All the folks on here are glad to help and offer advice. I own a #2 and it is perfect for me and my family. My 2 cents worth is go with at least the #2 it is worth the $150 difference between the #1 and #2..
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Joe

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:40:29 PM »
Assuming you will get hooked immediately on smoking, I recommend the #2 if you can spare the extra change.  I started with #1 and while it was great, recently moved to a #2D.  If nothing else, you'll enjoy the extra space of the larger unit.

Cheers!

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
Tell us what you want to smoke and for how many.
I debated between a 2 and 3. Very glad I got the 3 as a whole rack of ribs fit without having to cut in half. As many others have posted, you can always cook less than full capacity, but never cook more than capacity.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »
Howdy Hank and welcome to the forum!

Great question sir, but I'll ask you a question first. How many people will you cook for 80% of the time when you smoke? You see it's based on volume of meat smoked for the majority of uses. Two, four, eight or more folks? The number 1 can handle most 10-14lb briskets and pork butts which will feed 6 or 8 with maybe left overs depending on normal intake and side dishes served. A number 2 will handle about 20/25% more meat and cooks/smokes the same as the number 1. I've owned both and they are mostly interchangeable with maybe $200. difference give or take initial cost plus accessories.

So as a first timer my choice to feed around four/six folks give or take the majority of the time would be a number 1. Quality wise they are built to the same standards.

Hope that helps guide you to the starting line. Others might offer additional insight and or opinions but ultimately it's your decision Hank.

Let us know what you decide and all the best to you Hank.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Hank R

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Thanks to all, 90% of the time it would be 3 or 4 adults. 6 to 8 several times a year. The only thing I have ever smoked is some trout and that was in the 80's.  We like Pork Ribs and have BBQ them 6 or more times a year.  Have done a BBQ smoke thing but that was a waste of time. So that brings me here. Never had a Brisket, I need to learn more about meet cuts so I have a lot of reading and learning  before I purchase a smoker.
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:59:50 PM »
Thanks to all, 90% of the time it would be 3 or 4 adults. 6 to 8 several times a year. The only thing I have ever smoked is some trout and that was in the 80's.

I labored over the same question (#1 or #2).  Of course, as soon as I decided the #2 was the answer I had to also settle the internal debate of the #2 vs. the #3 or the 2D.  :)

I ultimately did go with the #2 and have been extremely please with the choice.  I started out making for four, but my daughter is off to college now.  I could easily make for 6-8 with the #2.  Depending on what you're making, you could also pull that off with the #1 though it may take a little more effort and creativity.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the #2 again.  The price difference isn't that much, but you get a lot more smoker that still fits into a pretty small space.  The only reason I would personally consider the #1 is if I had a specific place that needed it that much smaller and/or I wanted it to be 'portable'.

I did NOT get a cabinet or stand when I got the smoker.  I ultimately decided that was a mistake and got the stand.  In retrospect I would get the cabinet instead.  I love the additional height, but the stand is pretty much worthless beyond elevating the smoker.  (No useful storage and I never use the shelves as they're just not that convenient.)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
I have a #2 and typically cook for two but I have cooked for as many as 30. I know people love their larger units, but the #2 has served me well and takes up less space on my porch.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
Having never smoke meat before would I be smart to start with a Model 1 or save up my money and get a larger model?? I guess I am asking how many wish they had a 2 instead.  As I am sure the Mrs. is only going to approve 1 purchase. ;) ;) Thanks

Based solely on capacity, you can smoke less meat in a large smoker but never more meat in a small smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
I got the #1 because I mainly smoke for two but do enough for lot of leftovers.  I had mine for about two years now and have never regretted it or wished for a larger one.  It does depend on the quantity you want to smoke.  Just remember, the larger the unit the higher the electricity use but probably not by much.  Since I just cooked a rack of baby backs, on the #1, you need to cut the ribs in half to get it on a shelf but both half's fit side by side on one shelf so you can easily do multiple racks.  Still smokin like a champ

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:15:49 PM by BobM »
-Bob from Huntington Beach CA
 Smokin-It model #1
 Taking BBQ to the next level, also own the big Weber Summit

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »
Hank, whichever you choose, you will be happy with your smoker!  Now, with that being said, I recommend going with at least the 2, and #3, if it's in the budget.  Literally, let your budget decide the size.  As Dave (Old Sarge) said, you can always smoke less in a bigger one! 

I started out with a #1, and although it worked fantastic, I quickly regretted the size.  I, like you, just didn't think I'd use it very much...Boy, was I wrong!!  What I found is that it was so easy to use, I was soon smoking meat at least once a week, sometimes more!  Prep & cleanup is easy, and that lends to more frequent use.

The #2 does everything I need, except full-size packer briskets (the whole brisket, usually 12-18 lbs) and whole racks of ribs.  I LOVE the depth of the #3!  I don't have to worry about the length of the meat, and that is great!  The other advantage of a larger model is leftovers!  If you have a vacuum sealer, it is much easier to smoke more, and freeze the leftovers. 

Hang around here a bit before you decide, and ask lots of questions!  Welcome to Club Lazy Q!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:16:48 AM »
I have a #1, and would buy a #1 again. I love the small size. I have a detached garage, that fits one car, and that's it. No room to store it there, and I'm not going to trudge through the snow in the winter to smoke in the driveway anyway. So it needs to live on my back porch, where I can store it and smoke year-round without having to put on shoes. And it needs to roll out of sight when not in use, which means, behind a chair in a corner. The #1 is about the size of a small end table. Also I usually smoke for 2-4. But I can smoke for 10-12+ easily with butt or brisket. You can smoke 1 rack of ribs per shelf. Size was a bigger concern than budget. If I was not able to keep it conveniently located, I was not going to use it as often. If a desire for compact size, or weight is not a concern, then you should opt for the #2. For the number of people you expect to smoke for, the #1 might present a challenge now and then, depending on what you are smoking. The #3 seems like overkill for what you described, but once you find out how easy it is to produce great Q on these smokers, I think you'll be smoking a lot more often than you think.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:20:58 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Hank R

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
All very good points, room is a issue as well. although I think I can store a 2  once weather smartens up will have to see how much junk I can bin in the garage, all so I need to decide what else i would need. The issue is need or like.  Money from what I hear could be a factor being in Canada exchange is close to 30% buy the time everyone takes their little bit :'( Then I have to see what our Government wants at the boarder  for taxes.  I guess I have time on my side as I know a 1 will do but I really like the 2.  Shipping some thing have not looked in to might have to get a Passport and get it shipped into Wash. State then pick it up.  Lost in a haze of smoke and snow for now... :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:59:22 AM by Hank R »
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
I , for one, hate cutting my meat into little pieces in order to smoke it.  Ask some #1 & #2 owners what they have to cut up to make it fit in the smoker.  If they both have to cut up the same items like ribs and brisket, you'll know that there is no advantage to one or the other from that standpoint. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
I , for one, hate cutting my meat into little pieces in order to smoke it.  Ask some #1 & #2 owners what they have to cut up to make it fit in the smoker.  If they both have to cut up the same items like ribs and brisket, you'll know that there is no advantage to one or the other from that standpoint.

As a #2 owner, I have to cut racks of ribs into two pieces but have been very successful in smoking whole packer briskets up tp 15-16 lbs (prior to trimming) into the smoker whole.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.