Author Topic: Diet buster ribs  (Read 4034 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Diet buster ribs
« on: February 11, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »
Wife and I have been on a diet since the first of January so we felt like we were ready for a cheat day. That translated into some baby backs, smoked mac & cheese, corn casserole, broccoli salad and last but not least, cheesecake.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TX Gent

Re: Diet buster ribs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »
Congrats on the "Big" cheat day bonanza ... Go Big or don't cheat...lol
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
Nice spread!  Good to see that you did not over do it!!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »
Sent all the leftovers home with the company so no temptation today.  The ribs were primo.   I had to put the brakes on the smoke after the company called and said they would be a couple hours later than they initially told me.  I did half of the smoke at 225 and half at 205.  The results were succulent! 

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:21:26 AM »
Those are some meaty baby backs. Your guests must have been pretty happy with their leftovers.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
It all looks wonderful! If you are going to cheat make it worth it.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »
What an awesome looking spread there. You have some very fortunate guests. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

pargolfr2003

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »
Ribs with smoked mac n cheese. Totally worth blowing your diet
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »
Ribs with smoked mac n cheese. Totally worth blowing your diet
No need to convince me.  Lol!  Just wait until I blow all your minds with a smoked cheesecake!  J/K, maybe

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
Dave, it's technically not "cheating" because you had something green on the plate...everyone knows that's diet food!  Nice job!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
Dave, your cheater meal looks awesome. After reading several of your posts in researching SI smokers (I have had mine for a short time) I have read where you use the AMNPS products in your SI at times. From what I have read, no matter whether using 2 oz or 6 oz you can expect maybe 2 hours of smoke. With the AMNPS and dust in trial runs I find that can be extended to several hours. Question is, when do you use AMNPS and dust and is longer smoke periods benificial? I have been smoking for about 5 years but in a MES with AMNPS and mailbox. This 2 oz of wood and 2 hours of smoke just is giving me a problem??? like REALLY?
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
I can't speak for Dave, but I do use an AMNPS and an AMNTS in my #3.

I only use it for cold smoking cheese and bacon as that is the only time that I really need extended smoke.

Meat only absorbs smoke until if reaches approximately 140° and continuous smoke applied after 140° can actually add a bitter taste to the meat.

Depending on the smoke and how much wood that I use, I can regularly get a lot longer than 2 hours of smoke. I am guessing that I usually get closer to 3-4 hours of smoke on my of my smokes which is more than plenty.

To me the A-MAZE-N products have their place for cold smoking, but for anything else they are not necessary and just add extra work to my smoking process which goes against the Lazy-Q process that I so covet.

So, this is my 2¢
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
Like Gregg, I only use my AMNPS when cold smoking.  The design of the SI is so different than conventional smokers that it takes a lot of relearning and experimenting to get one's mojo back if they have a lot of experience smoking before getting the SI. 

Regarding smoke duration, I'm a believer that 1 to 2 hours is max and a lot of folks mistake steam for smoke when they think that they are getting smoke for the full duration.  Almost everyone uses water pans and when I've opened the smoker mid smoke there is a lot of steam rising from the water pan but no smoke from the smoke box. 

Regarding the amount of smoke flavoring the meat, stick burner smokers prove that smoke after 140 does not hurt the end product in a conventional smoker.  However, once again I think that the design of the SI smokers are so different that non standard rules apply.  I typically use a little more wood than is listed on the suggestion sheets in order to get the flavor that I like.  The danger lies in that since the SI's don't breathe real well it is easy to cross the line and get bitter or a stale smoke flavor if you've used absolutely too much wood. 

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
Learning over is tough for and old man!! I'm on my way out to find some chunks for my SI 3. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on and I appriciate the fact there is a spot to come to for guidence!
Thanks...Dick
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »
Dick - Make sure you get quality wood as it makes a difference.  Many of us use Smokinlicious and Fruitawood.  Both good sources.
http://smokinusa.smokinlicious.com/index.html?home
https://fruitawood.com
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers