Author Topic: James Jerky Dryer out of stock - any alternatives?  (Read 11905 times)

Teejilla

James Jerky Dryer out of stock - any alternatives?
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
I've been trying to buy a James jerky drier for a while but its perpetually out of stock. Does anyone know of any good alternatives?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: James Jerky Dryer out of stock - any alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
I am not aware of any substitute.  Maybe a low voltage computer fan?  Did Steve give you any idea when it will be back in stock?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

efciv

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:26:04 PM »
Ed in Calimesa, CA
SI#2
Landmann propane smoker
Blackstone 36in griddle
Weber propane and charcoal grills
PK Classic grill/smoker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »
At $160.00 I would wait till Steve gets more in. His price is much better.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
I called Steve a few weeks ago and he said the Jerky Dryer will be available the beginning of Feb. As of today its still out of stock.  >:(
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
I don't think I would pay that hefty price either. Heck, I think $99.99 is pretty high too, but I still bought one. ;)

In the short term, you could very easily make one with a computer fan like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SickleFlow-120-Radiators/dp/B0026ZPFCK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518189210&sr=1-10&keywords=computer+fan

All you would have to do is built a basic square box maybe 4" high or so and add this fan inside the top.

If you are not comfortable with some basic wiring to add an AC plug to the fan, you could go with something like this that already has the AC plug attached:

https://www.amazon.com/Zhanye-Muffin-Computer-Cooling-Exhaust/dp/B076H3HYX8/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518193157&sr=1-6&keywords=computer+fan

I have thought about building something like this for when I smoke cheese and am having trouble keeping my AMNPS lit. I think I would add a switch that would let me increase and decrease the speed of the fan too. This is on my to-do list down the road. :)

But, I would call or shoot Steve a text at 260-417-9951 or send him an email to smokin.it.info@gmail.com to ask when he expects them to be in. If he was expecting them at the beginning of February, I would think he would have a better idea now versus a few weeks ago as to when they will be coming in.

Good luck!

Koze
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:20:55 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
I don't think I would pay that hefty price either. Heck, I think $99.99 is pretty high too, but I still bought one. ;)

In the short term, you could very easily make one with a computer fan like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SickleFlow-120-Radiators/dp/B0026ZPFCK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518189210&sr=1-10&keywords=computer+fan

All you would have to do is built a basic square box maybe 4" high or so and add this fan inside the top.

If you are not comfortable with some basic wiring to add an AC plug to the fan, you could go with something like this that already has the AC plug attached:

https://www.amazon.com/Zhanye-Muffin-Computer-Cooling-Exhaust/dp/B076H3HYX8/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518193157&sr=1-6&keywords=computer+fan

I have thought about building something like this for when I smoke cheese and am having trouble keeping my AMNPS lit. I think I would add a switch that would let me increase and decrease the speed of the fan too. This is on my to-do list down the road. :)

But, I would call or shoot Steve a text at 260-417-9951 or send him an email to smokin.it.info@gmail.com to ask when he expects them to be in. If he was expecting them at the beginning of February, I would think he would have a better idea now versus a few weeks ago as to when they will be coming in.

Good luck!

Koze

Gregg, double check your links again. I believe they are both the same fan.

Grampy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:21:20 AM by NDKoze »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »

Good luck!

Koze

Gregg, double check your links again. I believe they are both the same fan.

Grampy

Thanks, Grampy! I missed that.

I fixed the links in the original post, but here is the link for the fan that comes with the AC cord:

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:27:06 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Hey Tejilla, Welcome!  I see you're new around here.  Head over to the Introductions section and tell us about yourself!  We love to know the new folks we're helping.

Personally, I would just wait the short amount of time to get the James dryer.  It not only works great, it looks good, and is backed by a great company!  Lots cheaper than your alternative, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ducksoup

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
I heard it was going to be early march for the Jerky Dryer.

He's something I was going to try.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OXDAWY?ref=emc_b_5_t

This fan here is closer to the CFM of an 80mm case fan out of a computer (Which is typically around 33-37) This one is 37.

If you want a bit more airflow you can try this. (47 CFM)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OXMZ3Y?ref=emc_b_5_t

I was then going to find some 4in PVC Pipe and put that under the fan and see if I can get a good fit. If not PVC then maybe I'll try something else. I'll have to experiment a bit. The fan is 3.6in in diameter.

The fan's pretty cheap and PVC Pipe is cheap as well, so I'll see how it goes.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:38:45 AM by Ducksoup »

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
Sounds like a fun inexpensive project. Make sure you take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Ducksoup

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Sounds like a fun inexpensive project. Make sure you take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes.

Will do!

I have the fan coming in Wednesday, so I'll see how it goes.

Grampy

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
I was then going to find some PVC Pipe and put that under the fan right where the grate is and see if I can get a good fit.

Duck, forgive me if I have misunderstood what you are talking about. Are you talking about putting the piece of PVC pipe on the inside of the smoker on the top grate under the vent hole? What would be the purpose for doing that?
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Ducksoup

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
I was then going to find some PVC Pipe and put that under the fan right where the grate is and see if I can get a good fit.

Duck, forgive me if I have misunderstood what you are talking about. Are you talking about putting the piece of PVC pipe on the inside of the smoker on the top grate under the vent hole? What would be the purpose for doing that?

Sorry, what I mean was to put the PVC pipe on top of the smoker (Where the hole is) and put the fan on top of the pipe. Basically a smoke stack, kind of like how the Jerky Dryer works. The 4in pipe is bigger than the fan, so I'll have to figure out how to make it fit. (Or use a different material)

When I said grate, I was referring to the grate on the fan. Sorry. :-D I edited my post to hopefully make it more clear.