Author Topic: Finally had it with Maverick .....  (Read 5729 times)

Elliottbte

Finally had it with Maverick .....
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
I bought a Maverick 733 when I got my SI#1 3 years ago.  It's been nothing but a nightmare for me.  The probes that came with it failed within 2 months, even though cleaned as directed and never submerged.  I even put silicone on the probes as has been suggested on this forum.  Steve replaced those with his normal excellent Customer Service.  Next I tried two versions of waterproof probes purchased directly from Maverick.  They lasted a bit longer but I found myself purchasing more probes as spares for the inevitable failure.  But now I have finally had it.  Purchased a couple new waterproof probes, and they read 10+ degrees different, and neither accurate, even when switching from position 1 to 2.  I know they aren't right because I use a Thermapen that passes the boiling water test as reference.  I have changed batteries often on the 733 so that is not a factor.  The 733 and all the probes are now in the trash can.  I see Steve doesn't sell Maverick anymore so I'm thinking that says alot about Maverick.

So what to do now?  I am not afraid to spend money, but I want things to work when I do.  I just don't know what device to trust.  My latest thinking is buying cheap BBQ thermometers from big box stores when on sale, and just consider them disposable.

Any one else out there with similar frustration?  What did you do?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:40:20 AM by Elliottbte »
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Finally had it with Maverick .....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
I experienced similar issues with the Maverick and tried replacing the probes as well.   Then I switched to the Thermoworks SMOKE and have had great success.  The probes on the SMOKE are much more sturdy and reliable.  It is a bit more expensive, around $99. https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
I experienced similar issues with the Maverick and tried replacing the probes as well.   Then I switched to the Thermoworks SMOKE and have had great success.  The probes on the SMOKE are much more sturdy and reliable.  It is a bit more expensive, around $99. https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Thanks for the reply.  I do like my Thermoworks Thermapen so it seems they make quality products.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »
I use the Thermoworks Chef Alarm and ThermoPop instant read thermometer and am pleased with both products. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »
2nd vote for the Smoke.
I bought a maverick last summer, had to get the manual out if I wanted to change the alarm settings. 
Got the Smoke on a black friday deal for $69. Love it, is has better range than the maverick, reconnects faster and is so easy to change alarm settings.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Elliottbte

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
Thanks Jimmy and Dave !!
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
So what to do now?  I am not afraid to spend money, but I want things to work when I do.  I just don't know what device to trust.  My latest thinking is buying cheap BBQ thermometers from big box stores when on sale, and just consider them disposable.

Any one else out there with similar frustration?  What did you do?

I got the Maverick 733 from Steve when I got my #2 a year and a half ago.  I had fits with it at first (one of my first posts on here) and eventually contacted Steve.  He sent me new probes and the problems I was having went away.  That meter still works for me, but I recently picked up a 4-probe Tappecue from another forum member that was looking to upgrade to more probes.

I'll keep the Maverick around as a backup, but I don't think I'll ever fully trust it.  I also never liked that the Maverick would alarm 10 degrees before the set temperature.

The Tappecue is working really well for me.  I can set the alarms right on my phone and send all of the temperature data to myself in an email.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Jimeo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
Guess I’ll consider myself lucky.  I’ve had no issues with my 733 ;)
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
Sorry to hear of the untimely demise of your 733, Brad!  I haven't had any problems with mine, but it's pretty lonely since I got the Fireboard.  I love that thing, and believe it's well-worth the price for multiple probes.  If it's in your budget, you might consider it as a long-term investment.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:06:13 PM »
No problems with my 733, but I wanted more probes (6) and anywhere monitoring/alerting so I went with the Fireboard. I've really enjoyed the upgrade! Smoking a butt right now: https://share.fireboard.io/BDD0FD
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
I WISH my Maverick would crap out so I could buy a Fireboard. My Maverick is more than ten years old, and still pretty reliable. Get Fireboard if you are willing to splurge, and want wireless and app graphing (which I want). Otherwise check out ThermoPro's Digital Wireless Meat Thermometers for a Maverick style replacement with a great reputation and price.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 11:13:01 PM »
I have a decades old wireless remote from Williams Sonoma that was made by Maverick. Still works well.  Bought a ThermaQ a while back, before the Smoke was available.  If I were to do it today, I would go with the Smoke.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
I WISH my Maverick would crap out so I could buy a Fireboard. My Maverick is more than ten years old, and still pretty reliable. Get Fireboard if you are willing to splurge, and want wireless and app graphing (which I want). Otherwise check out ThermoPro's Digital Wireless Meat Thermometers for a Maverick style replacement with a great reputation and price.

I think you should "Treat Yourself," order that FireBoard and keep the Maverick for memory sake and a backup! You deserve it!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
I think you should "Treat Yourself," order that FireBoard and keep the Maverick for memory sake and a backup! You deserve it!

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Elliottbte

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
Thanks to all for your advice and experience !!!  I think I may go for the SMOKE this time around based on the quality history of Thermoworks.  I am intrigued by FireBoard, but it's a lot more money and I'm not really sure about the long term reliability yet. 
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2