Author Topic: To clean or not clean—-That is the question  (Read 3467 times)

Duffy

To clean or not clean—-That is the question
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Smoker is filthy. Gunk, grease and smoke residue. Would it best to clean, buy a new smoker😂or just be quiet 🤔

Duffy

TX Gent

Re: To clean or not clean—-That is the question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
Really Duffy?

John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
Ever watch a show on the food channel about BBQ joints? Smoker sludge equals flavor. Racks are all I clean.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:07:31 PM »
A little grease will migrate under the foil that you place on the bottom of the smoker and over the wood box lid.  This is easily cleaned up.  As for the smoker itself, do not remove the flavored seasoning from the interior.  Clean your racks.  Over time, you MIGHT notice some loosening of "stuff" on the walls and ceiling; just brush it off.  Other than that, you are fine.  Of course, if you want to get a new smoker, Steve will oblige you :D
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
Smoker is filthy. Gunk, grease and smoke residue. Would it best to clean, buy a new smoker😂or just be quiet 🤔

I gently use a putty knife to knock off/pick up the loose stuff and toss it in the trash.  Otherwise, I don't worry about it...  everything else is seasoning.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:02:41 AM »
Use an old plastic credit card, or plastic putty knife/scraper to remove any loose stuff, and scrape up grease in the bottom. Then you can just give a quick wipe with paper towels. No need to remove more than comes off with that. I put my racks and rack guides in the dishwasher, but I have a #1, so they fit. If I had a larger smoker, I would not clean them that good.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:06:38 AM »
And ...welcome to the forum Duffy. Sounds like you've been getting good use out of your SI! ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
My cleaning is the same as Kari. Remove the foil scrape up bits and excess grease with a plastic putty knife, wipe with paper towels and clean the racks in the dishwasher. I have a #2 and it works out great!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
Like others have said, if I get a lot of build up I will scrape off the dry parts. When it gets a bit to greasy, I just throw in some wood and smoke it for 3-4 hours.
Best Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »
Well, since everyone seems to be firmly in the "no clean" camp, I'll go ahead and throw my 2¢ in for the "clean it" camp!  Lol... not really radical, though!  I pretty much do what they do...wipe down interior, wash the shelves, and get the water pan/foil out and ready for next time.  BUT.... about once a year, I get to where I just can't stand the creosote build-up on the door and walls, so I strip the interior with EZ-Off oven cleaner and start over with a new seasoning!  The interior looks brand new, and it takes on that beautiful amber patina, just like it does with the first seasoning after arrival!  ...Kind of like "new car smell" for smokers! ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!