Author Topic: smoking kieibasa  (Read 2916 times)

nebo

smoking kieibasa
« on: January 21, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
wanted to try some polish kielbasa recipes how would you go about smoking it, would it be like smoking sausage? I've smoked pork butts and turkey breasts but never sausage or kielbasa. i need walked thru this I'm green in this area help!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: smoking kieibasa
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
Kielbasa is already cooked. Make sure you poke several holes in each sausage so that they don’t burst. Go low temp with fine chips rather than chunks so you get smoke at the lower box temp settings.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

nebo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »
thanks for the reply,and the tip. the kielbasa that I'm making is from a recipe so it will be fresh meat,sorry i forgot to mention that

nebo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »
from what I'm gathering on the forum , i should be using the jerky dryer  after the smoking process, i don't have one , they won't have any for about five weeks, after i smoke the sausage would i be able to put it in the oven, with the door cracked open until i hit the desired int. temp. of 165

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
from what I'm gathering on the forum , i should be using the jerky dryer  after the smoking process, i don't have one , they won't have any for about five weeks, after i smoke the sausage would i be able to put it in the oven, with the door cracked open until i hit the desired int. temp. of 165

Yes, I think that this would work until you can get a dryer. The reason for the dryer is to dry the casing of the sausage and give it that darker appearance. Without the dryer or some way of removing the moisture, you end up steaming the sausage and it stays kind of a drab gray color in my experience.

The other option is to crack the door a little bit to let the moisture out depending on whether your ambient temperatures aren't too terribly low.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

nebo

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44:27 AM »
thanks for the help guys