Author Topic: Encapsulated citric acid  (Read 4222 times)

Joe Rinaldi

Encapsulated citric acid
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
Anyone used this?  I'm trying it with 25 lbs of Lebanon bologna.  Going to treat it like summer sausage but the only issue I see is with it having to go immediately into the smoker after stuffing. I usually rest mine in the fridge overnight prior to smoking but this isn't recommended using the encapsulated citric acid. Will they be dry enough or should I purposely run the smoker at 130 or so before running the temp up to dry them out a bit?  I also plan on 20 lbs of venison and 5 lbs of pork fat back.  Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcomed. Thanks
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Encapsulated citric acid
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
I am sorry that I am late in seeing/responding to this one. I have some Encapsulated Citric Acid that I purchased on my last Walton's order but have not used it yet.

Did you try this? If so, how did it go?

I would think you could just go at it with your normal smoking process because as long as you are using your Jerky dryer, it should dry the casings out. If your casings really seem wet, you could run the smoker at 100 degrees or so with the fan on for an hour or so to dry the sticks out prior to going forward with your smoking cycle.

These are my thoughts anyhow. For a more expert answer, you could ask your question on the Walton's user forum and Austin or Jonathan will be able to answer your question with a lot more expertise. :)

I am looking forward to trying this sometime on some summer sausage, just waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Encapsulated citric acid
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
Hang them on a rack with a fan blowing until the casings dry a but then smoke as normal. It wont take long for them to dry but definitely do not rest overnight.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud