Author Topic: DIY: relocate your 3D box probe  (Read 2770 times)

jpowell

• facebook
DIY: relocate your 3D box probe
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:57 PM »
Do you have a Gen1 #3D where the internal box probe is located (incorrectly) 4.5" from the top of the box? If so, you've likely run into times where the location of the probe is problematic when you're trying to smoke large or multiple racks of meat. The correct location for this probe is 1" from the top and here's my quick and easy DIY to move yours too.
Tools needed:
gloves (you'll be removing 3 layers of insulation)
phillips screwdriver
tape measure
drill
good quality 5/16" carbide tip drill bit
You'll also need a way to plug the old temp probe hole. I bought a short 5/16" bolt, nut, 2 large washers, and a spider lock washer (pics towards the end).

Remove the phillips head screws from the rear panel so it can be removed.

Using gloves, carefully remove the 3 layers of insulation. Insulation is not fun if the fibers get into your skin. Note that the 2nd and 3rd layers are behind the white wires.

With the insulation removed, you can now remove the temp probe. The probe is held in place with a nylon nut that needs removed from the inside of the smoker. I'd suggest cleaning some of the crud off the inside probe threads to make removing the nut much easier.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:28:42 PM by jpowell »
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

jpowell

• facebook
Re: DIY: relocate your 3D box probe
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
The old probe was located 4.5" from the top and we want to make a new hole 1" from the top. Measuring the center of the hole on the back from the top showed it to be 4 5/8" so I marked the new hole at 1 5/8". I decided to drill just to the right of the middle metal strip. However, I didn't account for the size of the nylon nut on the back of the probe. If I were to do it again, I'd move the hole about 1/2" to the right the metal strip so the nylon nut doesn't hit the metal strip.

When drilling the hole, use SLOW/low RPM's and dip the bit into some machine oil or motor oil. The tip needs to stay lubed. You may need to clean up the edges of the hole with a file. Place the old probe in the new hole and tighten it down. You might need a buddy to hold the rear of the probe while you work from the inside of the smoker.
I used several layers of aluminum foil so the rear of my temp probe had a flat surface to press against. I thought about getting another washer and cutting it to work vs the foil, but I didn't feel like running back to the store :-)

Now you just need to plug the old hole. I bought the following from ACE hardware for $2.

Carefully put the layers of insulation back in and put the rear panel back on.

You'll need to run an auto-tune now so that your auber recalibrates to work best with the probe in its new location. 

If I had known it was this easy to move the probe, I would have done it much sooner. It's soooo much easier placing lots of meat in the upper rack slots now!
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »
Great info Jason.  Sure to be helpful to some folks (like me!). 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
After the prob relocation and auto-tune ... my 3D rocks some sweet steady temps :-)
https://share.fireboard.io/396558
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:26 AM »
Do you think the auto tune made a difference? I haven’t done that yet since moving mine up.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
Yeah, def do the auto tune.
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana