Author Topic: is a bypass necessary for only temp control with a #2.  (Read 2475 times)

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
is a bypass necessary for only temp control with a #2.
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
A friend of mine has an Auber unit that is strictly for temp control...

Assuming the desired cooking temp is 225, this should work without doing a bypass?  (just turning the unit on to "full blast"?   Maintaining 225 should be simple for a #2.  Thoughts?  And I understand the bypass is easy, and I understand by doing a bypass I could cook higher, I"m not interested in either at this time. 

Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: is a bypass necessary for only temp control with a #2.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
The only thing that I've read about the two controllers working together is that they tend to fight with each other for control but I don't think that the bypass is absolutely necessary.  I know that there are some old threads here that discuss this subject.  I'll see if I can find a few. 

Not finding any right off the bat.  250 on the analog and 225 on the Auber would be the way to run the set up you describe. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:14:09 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:09:20 AM »
thanks.
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

Walt

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
No need to bypass, if you do not intend to smoke higher than 250. Plug the Smoker into the Auber and turn the smoker temp controller to max. However, A wall mounted box probe would be recommended.  I saw Tony mention the possibility of the 2 controllers fighting one another but I do not believe its actually been documented. I have never seen it happen. I believe it was theoretical conjecture. The major benefit for your intended set up will be low temp delicate smokes like salmon & the ability to program. You will like it. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill