Author Topic: Can a beer can turkey fit in a model 3  (Read 2537 times)

sizzler

Can a beer can turkey fit in a model 3
« on: December 29, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
trying to determine if a 20lb turkey can be placed vertically in a model 3 or should I consider a 3.5D.  Is there a comparison chart that shows the number of pork butts that can be placed in a model 3 vs 3.5?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Can a beer can turkey fit in a model 3
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
I am not aware of any such chart but I will measure my 3D from bottom rack to ceiling tonight when I get home. Check out YouTube for a video titled:

6 turkey challenge Smokin-it 4D.

This was made by one of our forum members. Not the smoker you are interested in but fun to watch.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »
You should not do a 20 pound turkey in a smokin-it.  Because the box temperature doesn't get above 250 (on an analog unit), the bird will sit too long - more than 4 hours - in the danger zone for bacteria growth (40 - 140 degrees F). The biggest suggested for these units is 12 - 14 pounds.

Interestingly, if you cut it in half, it is like having 2 10 pound pieces of meat, which is fine. You will find more on this in the Poultry section of this forum.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

sizzler

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
thanks for the help so far, trying to decide which SI I want to purchase, if I get the digital model will it be safe to cook turkey at 300 and will it fit in a turkey vertical stand?  I use a Gig Green Egg today to smoke a turkey today but the convenience of electric is very appealing, I was leaning toward the Model 3D but if I have to use the Egg for a turkey I may get a 2D, so many choices

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:28:08 PM »
I have measured the interior of my 3D as I stated I would with the following results. 14 1/2" bottom shelf to ceiling; temp probe 4 1/2" down from ceiling and 7" in from right side wall (right below the top shelf).  Thus the probe could skewer the bird if too tall.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
My answer would be yes to both vertical and 300 in a 3.5 D.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

sizzler

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »
thanks so much for the help and a special thanks for Old Sarge for doing the measurements, I am thinking and hoping it will work with the Model 3.  I have done a lot or research on this forum and was curious why people will install the permanent air probe only about 1" when they add it with the retro fit method and when you order a 3D with the Auber the permanent air probe is down so far.  I also assume I could put the bird a little more forward in the Model 3 and miss the probe.  I assume it only sticks out a few inches from the back wall, is there anything I am really missing here or any of my assumptions way off?

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »
Supposedly, they changed the position of the 3D probe to the 1" location at some point in 2017.
I recently moved my 3D probe to 1" and it makes it so much easier to place meat up high.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana