Author Topic: Arthur Bryant's or Gates Rub?  (Read 8473 times)

cohiba

Arthur Bryant's or Gates Rub?
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »
Hey All,

Anyone use Arthurs Bryant's or Gates rub??  I'm seeing their B.B.Q. sauce and rubs in our WalMart stores(at least on my side of town) in North Oklahoma City.  I'm also seeing Bryant's rub in a few of the Ace Hardware stores here in Okla.City/Edmond area.

Anyone try them?  Postives or Negatives?  I'm stocked up on Plowboys Bovine rub for beef ribs, but wanting to try some K.C. rubs.

Arthur Bryant's: http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com

Gates: http://www.gatesbbq.com/

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Arthur Bryant's or Gates Rub?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »
My only knock on the store bought stuff is the amount of preservatives they have.  In my opinion, the Bryant's store bought rub is a pale comparison to the real restaurant (it seems a bit too salty); I can't speak for the Gates rub.  That being said, it could be my palate because I think Head Country and Bad Byron's Butt Rub to be too salty as well.

If you don't mind a little DIY, this is a recipe I've had for a while that is alleged to be the Bryant recipe if you'd like to give it a try:

ARTHUR BRYANT'S RUB
1 cup salt
2/3 cup paprika
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground mustard
2 teaspoons white or black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
2 teaspoons powdered onion
2 teaspoons powdered garlic
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »
Hey Cohiba,
     Being from K.C. I have used Gates rub and the original sauce along with the sweet and spicy sauce. I prefer the original sauce as very close to what my Mom made only a lot easier. As for the rub it is pretty good for store bought and easy.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Limey

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
I'm with Joe, all the store bought rubs seem too salty to me, perhaps because salt is cheap and spices are not. I make all my own with no salt in them and then add salt as appropriate depending on whether the item is brined or not.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »
Hey Roger, Don't remember if was salty or not but it does have a kick to it. And that is what they use in their restaurants. Or at least that is what they say. As for Arthur's  they really went down hill after the sister sold it out to a franchise org. several years back. I would not use any of Arthur Bryant's products. As Joe suggested make your own. There are some really good recipes on this site and they are all tried. Good Luck!
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
Have you tried any of John Henry's rubs. I have a chuck roast in the fridge with his pecan rub on it getting happy. Also I have his cherry/chipotle rub and it is very good. I had to stop myself from grabbing a spoon and eating that rub. I have added it to some beans that will go into the smoker with the roast in the morning.

Apg36820

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 12:33:38 AM »
Being from Kansas City those are two of the big three out there. Try a smaller shop in KC called smokin guns. Their rub is a fine powder and leaves excellent bark. They have won both the jack Daniels and American Royal with their mild rub. When I'm in town that's my go to place for burnt ends.
Andrew
Life is to short to eat bad food
Webber silver kettle grill
Smokin it model 1