Author Topic: Weather  (Read 2221 times)

SmilingMEL

Weather
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »
My wife and I used to be season ticket holders for the DC United soccer team, and the joke was that RFK stadium had its own weather system--always raining on game days. I'm starting to feel like my new SI#1 may have similar special powers.

Smoke 1: Boston butt. Had an unexpected snow that fell the whole time I was smoking.
Smoke 2: Whole chicken. Was supposed to sprinkle. Rain came sideways in a total downpour in the middle of the smoke. Probe malfunctioned and ended up finishing the chicken in the oven. Still tasty, though.
Smoke 3: Turkey breast, planned for Christmas day. Just checked the forecast. It's looking to be cold and windy, with aniticipated 40 mph gusts.

So, what kind of weather keeps you from smoking? And more importantly, what kind of weather impacts the final product?

Mike from Fairfax, VA
SI Model 1 and Weber Genesis II
Anova Sous Vide Cooker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
None and none. Under the patio cover, it has worked in any and all conditions.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SmilingMEL

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
Ah, no covered place for me. I'm out on a deck open to the weather.
Mike from Fairfax, VA
Anova Sous Vide Cooker

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Nothing better then smoking in the cold weather... maybe its the cold air but to me the smoke just smells so much better.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
Mike-I has an open patio for several years. A wild hair later I had a roof installed by a local unlicensed contractor. Pure pleasure from that day forward.  And it was not as hard on the savings account as I thought it would be. The house supports one side and three posts support the yard side.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:44:01 AM »
I cut a hole in a tarp and throw it over the smoker. i let that smoke escape out that and keep on going.

Life's to short to stop smokin,,,,,,  8)
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »
I have mine on a screen porch. Weather is not an issue unless there would be loss of power.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
If I know bad weather is coming, I  move to the inside of my garage by the open door.  When I have gotten caught on the deck with rain, I just make sure to cover the temp controller with a baggie.   I use a AL pan with a hold cut out to cover the vent to prevent as much water as possible from entering the smoker, but the smoke has to have a way to get out of the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SmilingMEL

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »
Thanks, Steve. Those are both easy-to-implement ideas that should work beautifully for my situation.
Mike from Fairfax, VA
Anova Sous Vide Cooker

ibanez122

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »
My wife and I used to be season ticket holders for the DC United soccer team, and the joke was that RFK stadium had its own weather system--always raining on game days. I'm starting to feel like my new SI#1 may have similar special powers.

Smoke 1: Boston butt. Had an unexpected snow that fell the whole time I was smoking.
Smoke 2: Whole chicken. Was supposed to sprinkle. Rain came sideways in a total downpour in the middle of the smoke. Probe malfunctioned and ended up finishing the chicken in the oven. Still tasty, though.
Smoke 3: Turkey breast, planned for Christmas day. Just checked the forecast. It's looking to be cold and windy, with aniticipated 40 mph gusts.

So, what kind of weather keeps you from smoking? And more importantly, what kind of weather impacts the final product?

To be fair the weather here in NoVa is never really consistent!  As for RFK  I remember going to a nats game back in 07 in April and it was like 28 degrees which is not normal for this area!
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1