Author Topic: Insight please...  (Read 2293 times)

Tar54

Insight please...
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »
I have a 2D and my son has used it more here at home than I have...lol...we love it! He is on his own now with his wife to be and I wanted to get them a no.2 for Xmas....wish I could afford more but it is what it is..what will he need to go along with this unit? He had mentioned that if he got a smoker he wanted to keep this in his basement and vent through a casement window...(high crime area) will this work? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks in advance guys...also can a PID be added later?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:52:05 PM by Tar54 »
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Insight please...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:54 PM »
A rack or cabinet to set the smoker on is the way to go with a #2. Venting through a window shouldn’t be a problem. A PID can be added later and is my preferred setup to having the smoker with the integrated PID.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
I agree that a rack is a real plus. My wife ordered me one for my #2 and I am looking forward to having the height and the shelves. I do have the analog #2 and love it. While I have a separate PID, I rarely use it.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
If your budget allows I would vote for the cabinet. The first smoker I bought did not have one and bending over is pain when loads meat.
Best Greg

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
If I had it to do over I'd probably get the cabinet instead of the cart.  I might also be inclined to just make my own.  The stand works and the extra height is beautiful.  However, the 'storage' of the cart is pretty worthless the way it is designed and I almost never use the wings since I have a little aluminum fold-up camp table that is perfect for all of my smoker table space needs and co directly in front of the open door.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

TX Gent

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
I use a Kreg fold up workstation table which puts the smoker higher up...easier to load and more importantly to clean up.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek