Author Topic: Potential Probe/Digital Failure ?  (Read 1437 times)

Vinings Dawg

Potential Probe/Digital Failure ?
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
So after numerous successful smokes over the past year, only year of ownership, the last two have been total busts.
FWIW Standard Lazy -Q controller temp settings used...

1st was a 10lbs. brisket that finished maybe six hours in and both temp windows showed "END" at 6AM.  Brisket was black and way overcooked way too soon.

2nd was a 8lbs. Boston bone in this past weekend.  Put it in at 11 PM and checked on it at 7AM to find the smoker was off.  I had set up for 225 until it reached 192 internal and set for a 2 hour warm window at 140 for stage two setting JUST in case.  It was on end and beeping on the box temp and the meat probe stated 80F.  I opened it and the butt looked nearly uncooked.

I'm thinking this point that the meat probe is toast.  The overcooked brisket concerns me though as the pork situation was under not over cooked.  The smoke will start out ok and the meat probe temp matches a Weber BBQ IQ probe to start the smoke.  Then for whatever reason in the night it must jump or start reading much higher than it should I would assume for it to trigger the smoker to stop cooking.  At least in the pork incident.

I've gotten screwed on two overnight smokes after doing this successfully many time before.  It's baffling as pork is my go to and always a pleaser out of this box.

Anyone else seen this type of process failure?

Walt

Re: Potential Probe/Digital Failure ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
On a couple of occasions I have had similar issues. Fortunately, I caught them before the meat was ruined.  My 1st instinct is always to remove the back & check the wires. I have owned the unit for a few years & have had to repair broken wireing on a couple of occasions.

The brisket issue could have resulted from the box probe inadvertently being inserted in the brisket, causing the element to be maxed out for the entire cook. This would cause for an abnormally rapid cook & it being burnt severely. Just a guess....

For overnight cooks, to ensure there is no possibility of ruining future protein, I would use the time function followed by the IT function. Ex. 12lb brined brisket should take about 1.25 hours per lb (15hours).  I would set the program as follows prior to going to sleep...(program #1) temp 225, time 12 hours...(program #2) temp 225, IT 195.....

This method ensures that even if the probe is placed in a fat pocket, it won't ruin your cook while sleeping.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Vinings Dawg

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »
Walt,

I agree with you on the brisket.  I think i was trying to get a good height and did not pat attention to the back probe.  It may have been in contact with the meat either next to it or touching.  Makes good sense for the over cook.

As far as the time THEN internal temp approach in program settings I like that a lot.I will try that on my next run and do it during the day to troubleshoot/monitor.

I'd love to hear any insight anyone else has.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
Ditto on the time function for overnight smokes.  Where do you live?  It is well below freezing at night now where I live and I maintain that the Auber hates cold.  Also, IMO, one of the most common probe problems is the probe socket jacket getting loose on the probe plug.  Don't know why this has anything to do with anything but if I have probe problems, many times tightening the plug corrects it. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah