Author Topic: St. Louis Spares Definitly Not A Mistake  (Read 2232 times)

TX Gent

St. Louis Spares Definitly Not A Mistake
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »
As the title says I prefer St. Louis spares over baby-backs everyday of the week. More meat, better fat distribution, smaller bones to meat ratio and much more "cook" forgiving. That said ... baby-backs are still good eating and what you generally find at the chain restaurants for a reason. No... not picking a fight just my preference, so here goes ...

Brined for four hours using Kosher salt, cane white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of #1 / progue pink cure in a double bag.

Rinsed well under running water, dried and added rub. Rub was simple; black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar ... note I didn't use any more salt in the rub. Refrigerated the ribs without cover for 12 hours and pulled them out in the morning to start coming up in temp while I prepared the #1 for smoking. Wood consisted of pecan, peach and hickory and the water tray was a quartered apple and orange with a sprig of sage and oregano out of the herb garden.

Went three hours @200 and the ribs reached 165IT.  I pulled the ribs and added a light mop of my BBQ sauce, wrapped them first in saran wrap and then foil to seal all the juices in. Back in the #1 they went @ 225 for three more hours. At six hours total cook time, turned #1 off as the IT reached 203 and allowed the ribs to start coming down inside the smoker. One hour later pulled them out and waited 30 more minuets and opened them up. The bones literally fell out as I lifted the ribs.

So tender and juicy!

John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

JustChillin

Re: St. Louis Spares Definitly Not A Mistake
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:47:03 AM »
I have had better luck finding meaty baby backs. Rarely am I able to find nice St Louis ribs at my stores but I wish I could. Yours look mighty good. Great job!!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:18:45 AM »
TY JustChillin .... These were "prime" ribs and I'm lucky to have two very good over the counter meat markets in my area. If one doesn't have what I'm looking for the other usually does.

As the ol'saying goes ....smoke'em if you have'em!

It's all good
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

drains

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
Got my mouth watering. 😛 Good job!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »
Looks so good!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

shrews824

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
Very nice!!!
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.