Author Topic: This looks like a flat, would you agree? results posted!  (Read 4534 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: This looks like a flat, would you agree? results posted!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 05:45:30 PM »
Would you wrap in foil prior to the stall, or wait to get through the stall?

Ken, yes, if you are going to wrap, you should wrap before the stall (because you want all that fat and collagen to remain in the wrap with the meat), but after the meat has absorbed a good amount of smoke. Some people say the meat does not absorb smoke after if reaches 140 (but it does attach to the outside of the meat). That might be debatable by some... but based on that, 150 is a good place to wrap, to get the best of everything.

Tom, the reason I originally became a member of Costco was solely because of their Prime packer briskets. A couple a year, and it more than pays for the membership in my opinion. They can't be beat for quality and price. The bonus is all of the other great quality meat and food buys. Plus, there's a lot of other cool stuff there that I don't plan to buy, but end up in my cart somehow. ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

baran3

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »
I use my reserved brine liquid or part of a bottle of Coke for my steaming liquid.

Thanks Dave. I would have never thought of using Coke. The idea about leftover brine scares me because of all the salt. What about the same Worchestershire/apple juice that I used for injection?

Kari, thanks for your reply too. The 'wrap prior to stall' idea makes sense.

And finally, Tom, I apologize for highjacking your thread. I was excited to see your post on the same weekend that I also did my first brisket flat, so the info in here was very relevant to me at the time and I added my post before thinking it through. Sorry about that.

Ken
Ken from lovely Delmarva Peninsula
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »
Ken, don't know why I wrote brine, I meant injection.  i.e. beef broth/garlic...
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah