Author Topic: Ribeye Roast & All In One Extras  (Read 4258 times)

TX Gent

Ribeye Roast & All In One Extras
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
Howdy Folks

Picked up a Bone In 2.6lb Ribeye Roast on sale at a ridiculously low price and decided to smoke it with all the extras at the same time ... the first time for everything theory.

Washed, dried well and packed 4 tbs Kosher salt and 1/3 tsp #1 cure on to the Ribeye to air cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Washed all salt off before going in the smoker, dried again and seasoned with black pepper only ... no more salt or spices.

Loaded drowned pecan, peach and hickory chips in the box and added a boat of onions and garlic along with fresh sage, oregano and thyme. Lightly watered to hold moisture in the box, inserted probes and closed it up.

John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

TX Gent

Re: Ribeye Roast & All In One Extras
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
Grabbed a couple of Idaho's best spuds

Buttered, salted and black peppered then wrapped tightly in double foil to reduce any smoke penetration and both went in the smoker at the same time as the Ribeye. After getting the roast and spuds going I then turned my attention to a veggie add.

Which when combined with herbs and assagio cheese makes these colorful little beauties.

I'm going to wait an hour or so before adding these to the smoker ...don't want them cooking too fast or getting over smoked early

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
Wow! You are making me hungry. That is one great looking plan.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

TX Gent

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
TYVM JustChillin

Well the proof is in the pudding or in this case the "roast"

Learned more about curing, smoking to internal temp and timing for the record.

The cure was way over the top and not needed to the degree it went. The #1 or pink cure went so deep in 24 hours that it looked like pastrami once the roast rested and I cut it open. The cure with the addition of Kosher salt and the long time gave it a really deep deep smoke ring. I am reminded of the ol'adage less is more...lol  On the other hand the smoke went to 160 degrees internal and took 3:45 hours to get there and I used 250 degree setting on the knob.

The outside was just about right color and bark wise if not just a tad on the thin side. The meat was very tender, had a light chew and was just about right to overall point of done.

In retrospect ...

1. Less cure and less cure time would enhance visuals
2. Potatoes were done in the smoker after two hours and exhibited zero smoke taste due to double wrapping
3. Peppers went in for last hour and could have done with a tad more cook ... so 1.5 hours would be just about right

Cooking three courses in the little big #1 is very much doable and I've now added to my own knowledge base for the future.

All in all not bad at all...LOL

TexasSMK

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »
That looks great!  Hope to do this soon! 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »
That's a delicious looking meal! I have yet to do much with sides in my #1 (meat-centric when it comes to smoking), but that red pepper is inspiring me.

What has been discovered over time experimenting with using pink salt (Prague Powder #1) or Morton TenderQuick for creating the faux smoke ring, is that it only needs to be on the meat for about 30 minutes (or no more than an hour on whole packer brisket), and then should be rinsed off. This should also be done just prior to smoking. If you apply the cure, then rinse, and then refrigerate overnight, the cure remaining in the meat continues to make it's way toward the center, and will give you that wide band, even though you rinsed it. It can also change the flavor of the meat, to taste like pastrami as you mentioned. I have gravitated toward using Morton TenderQuick for the faux smoke ring. The cure in it is a lot less potent, and gives me more control. I can give the meat a good thorough dusting, then rinse 30 or so minutes later, without worrying about using too much nitrite/nitrate. The problem with applying cure for the faux smoke ring, is that it doesn't allow you to apply your rub in advance and refrigerate (unless you don't mind rinsing it off, and reapplying after the cure). You need to TenderQuick, rinse, rub, then directly into the smoker, so the cure doesn't have too much time on the meat. That's the trade-off I guess for the faux smoke ring, but I've not found any problem with applying the rub right before smoking. Sometimes with brisket, I will salt/pepper the night before to add flavor, even though it gets rinsed off shortly before smoking in order to add the cure.

160 also seems like a pretty high internal temp for a ribeye, unless you like it well-done. I like medium rare, and 125-130 internal temp would be medium-rare territory. If you want to sear your steak after you smoke it, remove it from the smoker around 115-120, then sear, for medium rare. I also go 200-225 on the dial when cooking medium rare, just to bring the meat up to temp more gradually, since my target internal temp is lower.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:30:15 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »
First I want to say the red pepper with cheese look great, I will give that a try.

As Kari noted, 30 minutes for the quick tender, then wash off.

For the potatoes, just poke them with a fork, apply olive oil and then sea salt and pepper and place in the smoker on the lower rack. I do this all the time with ribs, it takes about 5 hours for them to get done and they taste great.
Best Greg

TX Gent

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
TYVM guys for your experience and insights. Yep, learning the cure curve and the do's and don't s is a work in progress. Will take your suggestions and apply them on the next go round. Since this smoke I've included beans, corn, onions and tomatoes and I'm refining the use of veggies and times to come up with full meals in the smoker ... so far so good!

TexasSMK

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:51 AM »
Seems All in Ones, or Full Meal Smokin It , could be a thread on it's own.  I am trying your plan, a few twists, with noted recommendations tonight! 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

TX Gent

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
Cool Dale ...I'm looking forward to your post up as I'm always looking to share what works and doesn't.

TexasSMK

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
Did it!  Rubbed the roast in McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and let sit in fridge about 20 hours-rinsed, and patted dry.  Put Morton TenderQuick for 30 minutes, then rinsed and dried.  Let sit on counter for an hour.  Rubbed with Celtic Sea Salt and Black Pepper.  Placed the roast and potatoes in the smoker at 12:15 at 200 with 1 1/4 ounce apple (ain't that particular-it is what it was) and 2 ounces hickory.  At 2:15 added the stuffed peppers (Black Beans, Sweet Corn, chopped mushrooms and Asiago cheese).  Roast reached 135 IT around 3:30--double wrapped in foil and let it sit.  4:00 reversed seared roast for five minutes at 500 in oven.  Pulled potatoes and peppers at 4:15.  Meat was perfect for my taste.  Potatoes were a little stiff, but done--stuffed peppers were incredible.   Thanks for a great idea Tx Gent
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:08:05 AM by TexasSMK »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »
Dale,
Looks like another great smoke.
On the potatoes, I would suggest poke with a fork, oil and then salt and pepper. Then place the potatoes on the bottom rack and make sure to smoke for 5 hours at least. If the potatoes are not done at that time you can nuke in the microwave for a few minutes.
Best Greg

TX Gent

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »
Outstanding Dale! Well done sir!

Really like the combination of black beans, corn and mushrooms in the red peppers ... will use that down the road

TexasSMK

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »
Dale,
Looks like another great smoke.
On the potatoes, I would suggest poke with a fork, oil and then salt and pepper. Then place the potatoes on the bottom rack and make sure to smoke for 5 hours at least. If the potatoes are not done at that time you can nuke in the microwave for a few minutes.
Best Greg
Nuke!--Why didn't I think of that--thanks Greg.  Will start the taters earlier next time.

TexasSMK

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Outstanding Dale! Well done sir!

Really like the combination of black beans, corn and mushrooms in the red peppers ... will use that down the road
. I thought it was a great tasting combination. However, my wife says (she is apparently a cheese snob), I should have used a cheddar or pepper jack cheese!