Author Topic: First Month with the 3D  (Read 1976 times)

PigPen68

First Month with the 3D
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Well its been approximately a month since I received my new 3D and I couldn't be happier.   

The maiden voyage for the 3D was a pack of 3 St. Louis spare ribs from Costco.  I rubbed the ribs the night before and cooked them at 235o for 5 hrs then I took them out and sauced them up for another hr.  The ribs turned out great and were firm enough to pickup, but the bones just came out clean as a whistle.  (wife's favorite)

The second round was a Prime Rib roast from Wegmans.   The night before I made a rosemary, thyme, garlic, sage, and olive oil paste that I rubbed on and let rest in the fridge uncovered overnight.  I cooked at 200o until an IT of 130o then I reverse seared at 550o in the oven.  I also put a pan with carrots, onion, basil, thyme, and broth to catch the drippings.  When I was bringing up the oven to temp I put the juice pan on the stove, added some red wine and simmered it for ~20 min.    I really enjoyed this roast because it was easy and it had so much more flavor than just roasting one in the oven.  My wife who though she really didn't like prime rib went back for seconds. 

The third smoke was a pack of pork butts from Costco . The night before I injected the butts, put on a rub,  and let rest in the fridge overnight.  The butts  were 8.4 lbs and 6.4 lbs, so I put the smaller on one rack up and fwd toward the door and the large one two rack placements from the wood box.  The larger one still finished first, so I just double wrapped it and put it in the cooler.  My theory is that I should have put the smaller on toward the back because the air vent is located there allowing for more head to pass by.  Needless to say they still came out excellent and my coworkers were all appreciative for the  treat at our BBQ.

The fourth smoke was a12.5 lb prime brisket from Costco.  I used Jeff's injection for 24 hrs then I put some TQ on for an hr.  Once the TQ reached an hr I rinsed it off, injected it with DM's brisket injectionn then rubbed it with "Basic BBQ Rub" (From Smokin in the Boys Room).  This rub has less salt than most, so I chose it just in case the brine and injection put too much salt in the meat.  I cooked at 225o  until an IT of 195o the brisket finished at the 1.5 hrs/lb.  I separated the point and flat to make some burnt ends for a beef morsel appetizer.  My neighbors that have lived in Texas were very impressed and the left overs at work got devoured quickly.  I cut the brisket in 1/2"-3/4" slices that just melted in your mouth.

I wanted to thank DivotMaker, Old Sarge, SuperDave, and all the other great folks on this forum that post their success and failure, so we can all learn and make great food.  I have really enjoyed reading and learning all what people have to say about smoking just about everything.  My fist month has been great and I can't wait for more to come.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4199.0  (brine)

Dana
Dana from DC
SI 3D
Weber Genesis S330
Mechanical Engineer
USMC 00-04

PigPen68

Re: First Month with the 3D
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
more attachments
Dana from DC
SI 3D
Weber Genesis S330
Mechanical Engineer
USMC 00-04

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
Outstanding Dana and Congrats on your successes!

Smoke On

John
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
That's an impressive first month of smoking. With a little preparation and suggestions from this forum, you can definitely impress your family & friends. Happy smoking!!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Well done Dana.   That is a lot of smoking. And it all looks so good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus