Author Topic: That time of year  (Read 1885 times)

NJFoodFreak

• Rich , model #2
That time of year
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »
Looking to smoke a turkey in my #2. First time for doing so. How big of a turkey can I do, and any suggestions as to make it really good?
The main ingredient is love. Eat in good health.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: That time of year
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:09:51 PM »
Several turkey threads in the poultry section.  Keep your turkey in the 13 - 14 lbs max.  It becomes more of an issue of reaching an internal temp of 140 within the first 4 hours than size that will actually fit in the box.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »
Looking to smoke a turkey in my #2. First time for doing so. How big of a turkey can I do, and any suggestions as to make it really good?

I would definitely recommend brining. Optional would be to stuff the cavity with mirepoix (onions, celery, apple, herbs, etc). Although some people like to leave the cavity empty so it can absorb smoke from the inside too. You can find brine recipes and instructions in the poultry section by searching "Turkey Brine". Don't expect the skin to be very edible though. That's the trade-off with smoked turkey. It will end up leathery and like paper. It's job is to keep the meat moist, and later, feeding the dog.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »
  • Stay at or under 14 pounds for safety purposes.  I've done larger with no problem, but there is an established risk so don't foist it on outsiders.  :)
  • Definitely brine even if only for a few hours...  you can put oranges and various spices in the brine, go with just salt, or buy a kit.
  • In the #2 you'll want to set it at 250 and leave it.  Use a probe (or preferably two) to tell when the internal temp hits 165.  I say use two because it's easy to place a probe wrong and get a temp that is off.  Two gives you a sanity check.  :)
  • You'll need to allow ~20 minutes per pound.
  • I tend to use mostly cherry with a chunk of pecan thrown in for good measure.
  • If you want the skin a little crispier then throw it into a high-temp pre-heated oven for a few minutes.  I've personally had no issue as I don't tend to eat the skin anyway and don't find it bad as-is when it comes out.
  • I do not stuff my turkeys...  I want to make sure the smoke permeates throughout and I don't want to have to worry about the temp in the cavity.
  • I use the turkey rack sold on the SI site, but I really doubt it's required...  just makes it really easy to put the bird in and take out out when done.
  • Just like 99.5% of all other smokes in the SI, don't mess with it...  once you put it in and close the door don't open the door again until you've hit the target internal temp and it's time to take it out.
  • There's no need to wrap or anything like that... carve when you're ready.  It will hold its temp for a while if you're not quite ready for it when it's done.  I put it in a roasting pan and just sat it in the oven for a bit last time until I was ready to carve it.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »
+1 on everything Larry said! Thanks Larry! Except for the skin. Don't even try to rescue it by putting into a hot oven. It is too far gone, and an oven will just dry out your wonderful meat. Make peace with the crappy skin. The meat is so moist, no one will care about the skin. If you and your guests find it palatable, then by all means eat it. But don't expect much. (I've also done larger than 14 pounds, and they get to 140 WAY before 4 hours, so AT YOUR OWN RISK, but I think 14 pounds is conservative as far as food safety is concerned in my experience.)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide