Author Topic: First 3D smoke!  (Read 1787 times)

Haynfolife

First 3D smoke!
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:36:18 AM »
Posted this in introductions under so confused but figured I’d post it here too. My first smoke was with a 11# select brisket. I also had a 6lb pork butt going that sat on the top rack over the brisket and that came out like butter. But this post is going to be brisket oriented.  I’m as new as they come and I’m open to any and all advice.

Started the smoke at 8pm. Prep was simple trimmed down the fat cap to about 1/4, salt and peppered then in the fridge for about 6 hours prior. 2 loaf pans with apple juice on the bottom 3oz of hickory and 3oz of pecan.  The brisket stalled at 174 at 230am so that’s 6 1/2 in. Hit the sack and woke up 6am. By then the brisket was at 184. It took till 8am for it to reach 190. I pulled and checked with a probe and some parts of the brisket read 190 and some as low as 181. I placed the brisket back in and bumped to 230.  By 10am the meat probe sat at 194 and I decided to pull. wrapped it and it sat in the cooler for 3 hours. Point was almost 2 moist as it was hard to cut and kept falling apart. The flat wasn’t bone dry but lacking the moisture I was looking for. (Wanted to see those juices flowing) all in all this was an awesome first smoke. Here’s some questions and thoughts.
1. Where is the best place for probe placement?. (I have a smoke from thermoworks)
2. Should I inject? How long do I let it sit after injecting it before the rub goes on?
3. Bark isn’t super important so I’m going to wrap at 160 next time. But I would like to learn both ways.
4. Would it better to separate the flat and point and smoke separate? That way I can wrap the flat after 160.
5. Using the meat probe with the 3D The IT temp would jump up and down within 3 degrees. Is that normal for the 3D or should it remain constant?
6. What’s up with the varying temps when I pulled the first time? Should I have just trusted the reading on the first pull? Could me bumping the temp to 230 at the end dried out the flat a little?
7. How many 11-13 # briskets have you cooked in your #3 can you even use the bottom rack which sits right over the wood box? ( its kinda hot down there.
8. How long do you wait time wise to know your brisket has hit the stall? Meaning if it hits like 160 for example and doesn’t move for 30 min in temp would you consider it to have hit the stall?
9. If you have wrapped at 160 what type of liquid do you use? Read using pineapple juice helps to tenderize.
 I have so much to learn. Attached are some pics of before and after I pulled it and One of me pulling a flat piece apart. Also a pic of some killer brisket chili I made with the flat and of the pork butt.  I really appreciate all the help mahalo!!!!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First 3D smoke!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »
1. Where is the best place for probe placement?. (I have a smoke from thermoworks)
 - Center of the point is fine.
2. Should I inject? How long do I let it sit after injecting it before the rub goes on?
 - On short notice I've injected right before a smoke and injected the night before starting a smoke. I put the rub on right after the injection.
3. Bark isn’t super important so I’m going to wrap at 160 next time. But I would like to learn both ways.
 - Part of your problem might have been the fact that you used Select grade brisket. Imagine the flat of a Select grade brisket being like smoking shoe leather.
4. Would it better to separate the flat and point and smoke separate? That way I can wrap the flat after 160.
- If you use Choice or Prime this won't be necessary.  However, when I had a small smoker that is how I used to do my briskets on a regular basis with good results.
5. Using the meat probe with the 3D The IT temp would jump up and down within 3 degrees. Is that normal for the 3D or should it remain constant?
 - It is normal to see that in the stall but not as a general rule during the smoke.
6. What’s up with the varying temps when I pulled the first time? Should I have just trusted the reading on the first pull? Could me bumping the temp to 230 at the end dried out the flat a little?
- No, flats are just too lean.  This is why I smoke with fat on both sides.  Did you smoke fat cap up or down?  Fat cap down would have been best with it being on the bottom rack as the brisket is then acting as a heat shield.
7. How many 11-13 # briskets have you cooked in your #3 can you even use the bottom rack which sits right over the wood box? ( its kinda hot down there.
- See response to #7 above.
8. How long do you wait time wise to know your brisket has hit the stall? Meaning if it hits like 160 for example and doesn’t move for 30 min in temp would you consider it to have hit the stall?
- Just curious or why are you asking?  Not really important in the grand scheme of things
9. If you have wrapped at 160 what type of liquid do you use? Read using pineapple juice helps to tenderize.
 - I use some of my reserved injection liquid.

I have so much to learn. Attached are some pics of before and after I pulled it and One of me pulling a flat piece apart. Also a pic of some killer brisket chili I made with the flat and of the pork butt.  I really appreciate all the help mahalo!!!!!!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah