Author Topic: store bought Hot italian sausage smoked!  (Read 3054 times)

40 caliber

store bought Hot italian sausage smoked!
« on: November 04, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
This one is so easy it's silly.
1. buy hot italian sausage at the grocery store.
2. start the smoker , 250 heat with 190 internal temp probed
3. Use whatever wood you want. i have tried, hickory, cherry and Maple all were good but I go to maple.
3. wait 90 minutes or so and your sausages are done!

i have tried to add rub but it actually worked against them. It is so good, so easy and quick!  everyone that has tried them loves them. I just smoked turkey sausage and OMG, they are better than a standard sausage. give it a shot and let me know.
the turkey ones are in the front of the pic

I use a 3D by the way.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: store bought Hot italian sausage smoked!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
I make these for easy appetizers served with spicy mustard. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
Cool idea 40cal ... I'll give it a try!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
Hey dave, i was thinking cut them up in slices with cheese and crackers would also work well for an app!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:14:18 PM »
Yep, that’s how I do it. They are great warm or cold.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

drains

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »
Looks great!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
They look really good. I smoked some fresh jalapeno cheddar sausages a few weeks ago and they were fantastic. Far superior to cooking them on the grill or in the oven. Thinking of smoking some andouille next week for use in a pot of gumbo.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

40 caliber

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »
They look really good. I smoked some fresh jalapeno cheddar sausages a few weeks ago and they were fantastic. Far superior to cooking them on the grill or in the oven. Thinking of smoking some andouille next week for use in a pot of gumbo.

store bought jalapeno/cheddar? what kind?

I actually smoked some kielbasa and sweet sausage but they did not compare to the hot italian sausage!
Tom From NH

JustChillin

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »
No they were made by a small butcher in South Georgia and given to me by his aunt. They have a pretty good kick (heat) and are really good. She usually buys me some a couple of times a year.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Did these last night with some hot italian sausages made by my local grocery store. I was worried that 190 was too high to cook them, but they were terrific. 2 oz of wood seemed to work well; I used hickory, and will try cherry or maple next. If you are looking for a quick, prep free smoke, this is a good one. Thanks for posting.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »
Thanks , i just stumbled on it.  i use closer to 7 ounces but i have a 3D and i like how it comes out. I am glad you like it! it only takes 90 minutes to do andthere is no prep. I also make these with Ribs. I just pulled them at 90 and close the door and let the ribs do their stuff!
Tom From NH

40 caliber

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Thanks , i just stumbled on it.  i use closer to 7 ounces but i have a 3D and i like how it comes out. I am glad you like it! it only takes 90 minutes to do andthere is no prep. I also make these with Ribs. I just pulled them at 190 and close the door and let the ribs do their stuff!
Tom From NH