Author Topic: Couple questions about the #1  (Read 2058 times)

Alin Williams

Couple questions about the #1
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Hey guys,
New guy here. Been smokin a bit with my Masterbuilt 30 but been thinking of buying a #1 mainly for the fact of the better build, better thermostat and I've been using an AMNPS instead of the chip tray in the MES30 because I hate "babysitting" an 8# butt every 45 minutes with chips. Makes for a long day when you put it in at 2am. Anyhow, for starters, I don't think the pellets give the best flavor compared to chunks or chips but what has me intrigued is....where does all the mess go when you smoke a butt for 12 hours? Right out the bottom into the slide in tray? When I do them in my MES I'll either leave the water pan in to catch mess or put a foil pan underneath to catch it. Is this possible with the #1? Thx

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Couple questions about the #1
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »
We;come to the forum and you are correct:  out the bottom and into the drip tray.  Just line the bottom with heavy duty foil and cover the lid of the wood box with foil and clean-up is pretty simple.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
You'll be using an internal water pan (disposable foil pan partially filled with liquid) snugged up next to the smoke box when you smoke butts. Some drippings will drop off the top of the smoke box and go into your internal water pan, and some drippings will drip to the bottom, and go through the hole in the bottom into the drip pan that slides underneath. I'm not sure why you are using an AMNPS with your MES, other than the built-in smoking option is inadequate, which is not surprising I guess.

In the SI, an AMNPS is not required unless you are cold or low-temp smoking, but for cold smoking, an AMNTS is often helpful. Personally, I use the SI cold smoke plate and chips for my cold smokes, but many have found success with the AMNTS.

With the SI, you put in your chunks, and that's it, until done. Get some sleep, or go do something else until your meat is done.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:27:46 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Alin Williams

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Yeah...you missed that point with the MES chip tray....I hate babysitting it every 45 minutes to load wood chips. With the amnps I can put it in at 2am and go back to bed....hence the possibility of getting the #1 and loading the wood chunks once...and walking away for 10 hours.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:39:49 PM by Alin Williams »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »
Alin - You will find the SI smoker to be a joy to use.  Read all the posts you can on the model you are considering. Also check out the FAQ section from the main site. Lots of good info there.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus