Author Topic: Looking to get a #1  (Read 6135 times)

santange11

Re: Looking to get a #1
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
Well I finally pulled the trigger and got the #1 and some wood from smokinlicious. I was one the fence between the #1 and #2 until I read this post:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5046.msg46779#msg46779
This convinced me that with some planning I can do the rare larger group. Thanks for all the great information on this forum. My only problem now is deciding on what my first smoke will be.
Tim from Portland, OR

JustChillin

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
A pork butt or ribs is always a great first smoke.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 11:50:37 PM »
Congratulations! +1 on pork butt for the inaugural smoke. Long smoke, and pretty hard to mess up. Practically guaranteed success and rounds of applause from family and friends. It will get your #1 nice and seasoned inside. Last weekend I smoked a whole packer brisket in my #1, (19 pounds untrimmed, about 17 pounds after a light trim, cut in half) and it fit with room to spare. And feeds an army.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TX Gent

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Congrats santange11 ... post up results when you have the first one finished
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

BeerPalate

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Congrats on the #1.  I was torn too, but found a great deal on a used #1.  Honestly, it looks/feels small, but I've done a brisket in half and have cooked two shoulders at the same time with no issue.  Trying baby back ribs this weekend for a small group.  In practice, I don't think it's been an issue at all, and my 2-3 smokes to date have come out great.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:31:39 AM by BeerPalate »
Erik in Southern California

santange11

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »
Got the #1 in yesterday and seasoned it. I smoked a small chuck roast and made burnt ends. I mainly was trying to clean of my freezer. I followed this post and the result were pretty good.

How about some Chuck roast burnt ends???http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6252.msg57720#msg57720

Overall it was pretty good, but there are some things I want do differently next. Can't wait to smoke something else. Thanks for all the advice on this forum.
Tim from Portland, OR

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
It can take a little time to dial in the right smoke profile that suits you and your family.  In the meantime, homework never tasted so good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:01 PM »
It can take a little time to dial in the right smoke profile that suits you and your family.  In the meantime, homework never tasted so good.

Ain't that the truth.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide