Author Topic: Howdy Y'all  (Read 4142 times)

drains

Re: Howdy Y'all
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 01:06:29 AM »
Nice! How were they?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

TX Gent

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
The beef ribs turned out great.

Wife gave a thumbs up and Miley our dog, gnawed on hers and then promptly buried it. Guess hers need more seasoning ...lol

For our taste we'll dial the smoke temp down to 200 instead of 225 and use half the oak (2ounces) for the same time. The #1 really does a great job and I'm pleased with the first results. Plan to do a pork butt Texas style this weekend. Just got the forums recommended controller and will install the temp prob through the back wall before the next smoke.

All in all the #1 will serve our needs well and I really look forward to taking it along with us when we camp. Guess I might be feeding a park full of RV'ers down the road all  attracted from the #1's smoke.

Thanks all for your encouraging words

John
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:47:10 AM by TX Gent »
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

TX Gent

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
Last post in Howdy Y'all as I'll post up in the other threads after the intrductions.

Update and sorry no pics as I smoked a 5lb flat early this am.

Started at 3am after ol'guy pitstop with close trimmed flat, cracked pepper and kosher salt. In @ 200 degrees and four oz of oak. Hit 158 internal @ 6hrs, wrapped in foil, put back in and turned #1 up to 225. At 11am thin area hit 205 and thick area hit 195 (double meat probe) so pulled and wrapped with more foil, bagged to contain JIC leakage, toweled and put in a small cooler.

The brisket started out as a 15lb Prime grade packer and aged twenty one days. Cost was $3.49 a pound.

When processed it came out to a five pound flat, four pounds of brisket Hamburger patties and six pounds of cut fat trimmings.

So ... now a four hour hold till game day festivities start and I'll check it @ 3pm and we should be good to go

Go Frogs Beat Texas!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:22:05 PM by TX Gent »
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066