Author Topic: Howdy Y'all  (Read 4134 times)

TX Gent

Howdy Y'all
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
Received my #1 today and broke 'er in.

All went as generally expected but I was surprised at the amount of residue left after just a four hour burn in and three hickory blocks later. Used 125/175/225/250 four steps and did see one little "poof" @ 225 so I guess everything is normal. Burn pattern on blocks was back block down to 20% left, middle block about 50% and front block still about 70% left.

Question is.... all about normal for first four hour burn in?

Very pleased with my first experience researching Smoke-It, ordering, delivery and the quality build.

All is good!

John W.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

drains

Re: Howdy Y'all
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:29:25 PM »
Welcome from East Texas John! Front is cooler than the rear on my #3. You can prevent combustion by lining the wood box with aluminum foil. What you have described sounds normal. Now put some meat in that bad boy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:36:59 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of smoking on an SI and to this forum. You bought the smoker and seasoned it. Now you need to buy some meat to smoke and a belt with extra holes (or a hole punch). This forum and your new smoker can help you cook some great food. Listen and learn 8)
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:53 PM »
Welcome John from SE Arizona. Quick question:  Was there a specific reason you seasoned your smoker through 4 separate steps?  Just curious. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »
Welcome, John, from Garland, TX...  I have the #2 and love it.  I'm sure you'll make great use of yours.  My wife and I stopped at an award winning BBQ joint in Tyler, TX last weekend.  She said my brisket and pulled pork will beat theirs any day.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, John.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TX Gent

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »
Thanks All for your warm welcomes to the Smoke-It forum!

Beef ribs for dinner tonight will be the first real deal Texas style test "smoke". Salt/pepper and oak ... that's all.

old sarge .... wanted to get a feel for smoke at different levels of heat and establish a "known" burn pattern for the first time. Maybe over-thinking the process but it gave me the early tells for my first "rodeo" lol
drains ... will try the foil liner in the wood box .. tyvm for the suggestion.
LarryD ... there are some mighty fine BBQ joints in the Tyler area and when your wife tells you yours is better, well ... she's a keeper.

Time to get smoking

drains

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
drains ... will try the foil liner in the wood box .. tyvm for the suggestion.

Your welcome, just double a piece of foil the length of the box and put it in the bottom and your wood shouldn't ignite.  If you haven't yet you might consider checking out smokinlicious.com.   They are a great source of wood for our smokers. Their customer service is awesome as well.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

ibbones

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
Welcome from South Texas.  Gonna love the smoker and what it can do.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

TX Gent

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

Miley making sure the beef ribs are good to go.

10 am / 54 degrees and cloudy / 4oz of Oak and 5hrs @ 225 degrees should be just fine.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
Your pup is either well trained or doesn’t like ribs. I have 2 and they are never further than a nose from food I am working with. One would think they are sous Chefs.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TX Gent

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
TYVM Sarge .... she is a patient ol'soul and knows all too well her Dad will take care of her.

Dinner! or my part of it... BTW First smoke in the lil'#1

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:14:51 PM by TX Gent »

JustChillin

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 05:53:32 PM »
Those ribs look mighty good!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
John, congrats on your #1! It's what I have, and can do everything the big guys do. Don't over-analyze your wood appearance, smoke color, smoke output, and over-complicate your process before you've even gotten some smokes under your belt. The seasoning smoke with no meat (or heat sink) in the smoke chamber is not a very accurate situation for analysis of any of those things. Smoke some meat, how does it taste, adjust from there. There are lots of helpful folks on here with lots of helpful advice, but your #1 might work just fine in it's most simple configuration, like mine does, without lining the box with foil, etc. I don't line my box with foil. I place the wood chunks down the middle, and it smokes just fine. Keep your process as simple as possible with as few alterations from the start. You can always adjust as you go along.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »
Good looking ribs!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle