Author Topic: Large Brisket  (Read 3840 times)

JohnM21146

Large Brisket
« on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
This is my first brisket smoke after a couple of successful pork butts thanks to this forum.

Our local Sam's Club had only Choice Angus Beef flats @ $4.57 lb. with no packers in the store. I went to a Sysco outlet store in the area and they had packers (no grade marking and not Angus Beef but "Iowa Premium") for $ 2.99 lb. but they were pretty large. I bought the smallest which was 16.5 lb. and after trimming it was around 13.5 lb. ready for a mustard and rub massage. When I set my 2D rack over top of the finished product, there was no way it would fit in the 2D from what I could see. Reluctantly I cut it into two pieces, a 7 lb. flat and a 6 lb. point. So this leads to a couple of questions:

1. Shelf placement for each piece.

2. Cook temp and what temp to pull each piece for FTC rest. The goal would be to slice the flat and pull the point.

3. Now that I have two smaller pieces, how will that affect cooking time? Trying to eat around 4PM tomorrow.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

JM
John from Maryland
Si 2D
Holland Apex

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Large Brisket
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
1. Shelf placement for each piece. Here's how I do a full packer in my #1. Put the point fat side DOWN on a lower shelf (the fat will shield the point from the direct heat of the smoke box). The point can take more heat and be closer to the heat source. Put the flat fat side UP on a shelf above the point. The point will shield the flat from direct heat, and the fat on top of the flat will keep it moist.

2. Cook temp and what temp to pull each piece for FTC rest. The goal would be to slice the flat and pull the point. Before pulling the point (for pulled beef), try it sliced. It is delicious! I like sliced point better than sliced flat. The point is also great for burnt ends. You want to take the flat to about 195, and the point to 200-205. Probe each separately if you have two wired probes laying around. With the shelf arrangement as I described, both will probably be at their finished temperatures around the same time. If not, definitely wrap/rest each piece as it is done. Look for the meat to be floppy and kind of jiggly like jello.

3. Now that I have two smaller pieces, how will that affect cooking time? Trying to eat around 4PM tomorrow. Cooking time will be shorter than if the brisket were whole. Base cooking time on the weight of the larger piece. The additional meat mass in the smoker might add a little extra time, but probably not that much in a 2D. It will take 1 to 1.5 hours per pound at 225. So that's 7 to 10.5 hours, plus a 1 to 2 hour rest. So I would say start it 11.5 to 12.5 hours before you want to eat (start between 3:30 and 4:30 am), and if it is done before that, it can rest in the cooler longer, even up to 5 or 6 hours no problem. My advice is if in doubt, start earlier, and rest longer. Brisket that is not cooked and rested long enough is not good.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:07:59 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JohnM21146

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, sounds like a plan. Will about 6oz. of hickory do the job?

Not sure if I can pull of burnet ends with what I have to work with. I have definitely read a bunch about them on this forum. How do you suggest preparing them?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:04:10 PM by JohnM21146 »
John from Maryland
Si 2D
Holland Apex

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
I have only made them a couple times, because I like the point sliced so much. They are really good though, and I hope to make them again. For this brisket, you might not want to complicate your cook with burnt ends, because they require additional prep and more smoking, once your initial brisket is done. Save that for another future brisket.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
Six ounces of hickory is plenty. For some folks it gives a just right smokiness; for others maybe too much. All a matter of personal taste. I regularly go 5 or 6 ounces on a brisket. Depends upon how well I do with the hatchet.  Good luck!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JohnM21146

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
So both the flat and the point have been in the 2D since 0500 @ 225 exactly as prescribed: Point on second shelf from bottom with fat side down, flat on second shelf from top with fat side up. No brining or injection, only spice rub and wrap/sit for 12 hours.

At first the point lagged behind the flat as much as 15 degrees, but now they are both at 165 and seem to be holding. Do the briskets have a "stall" temperature like the Boston Butts?

Wondering if I need to pull the meat and wrap it to finish.....would rather not but don't want it to dry out.

Thanks,

JM
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:03:45 PM by JohnM21146 »
John from Maryland
Si 2D
Holland Apex

Walt

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »
Briskets usually have a substantial stall. Usually, the temperature initially rises very quickly.

I don't wrap in these units. However, I always brine briskets.

Also, I would keep from splitting the brisket, if large, and fold it to fit or place a beer can under the center.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
My stall generally hits around 170. plus or minus a couple of degrees.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JohnM21146

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 05:20:50 PM »
Sarge,

What is your method for brining briskets? It is the flat and the point (where included)?

How does it differ from DM's pork butt brine?

Thanks,

JM
John from Maryland
Si 2D
Holland Apex

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
John,
Sorry to disappoint but I do not brine.  I inject broth and use a jaccard.  Sort of messy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JohnM21146

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
Sorry, the brine question was meant for Walt. Or anyone that brines briskets before smoking. My first was a bit dry on the flat but it cooked a long time and I struggled to get it up to temp. I was thinking maybe a brine next time.

Do you bring the flat and the point as well?

How is the brining solution different from say, DM's pork but brine?

Thanks,

JM
John from Maryland
Si 2D
Holland Apex

JustChillin

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
I did a whole choice packer (15.5lb before trimming) last weekend. I brined it overnight in a brine  very similar to DM's pork brine but with a few added seasonings. Rinsed the next morning around 11am and slathered it with mustard the a dry rub of pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Shoved it into my #2 whole without cutting it. Cooked it at 220 (analog setting) for 16.5 hours to an internal temp of 195. Wrapped it tightly in foil and lest it rest in a heavy styrofoam cooler for 5 hours. Everyone said that it was the best they had ever had. It definitely convinced me to brine in the future. I was only able to take a photo after the mustard dry rub. Everyone was lined like a pack of wild animals when I started slicing.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
My first was a bit dry on the flat but it cooked a long time and I struggled to get it up to temp.

John M
What do mean mean when you say "it cooked a long time". How many pounds, how many hours, at what temperature? What do you mean by "you struggled to bring it up to temp". It'll come up to temp. You just have to be patient. There should be no struggle there. Were you in a hurry? Did you try to raise the temp on the cook to rush it. Didn't start early enough and allow 1-2 hours for rest? Did you "push through the stall". You should never push through the stall. That's where the magic happens. Your brisket will be dry if you did not give it the time it needed, at the low temp needed, to break down the connective tissue into gelatin. Also, if you do not allow at least an hour of rest, the moisture will just run out, being very dry. Allow plenty of time. Briskets can rest in a cooler for 6+ hours wrapped in foil and surrounded by towels. Start em plenty early so you are not in that situation where you can't get to temp in time for your guests.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
I use an equilibrium brine fortified with black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ancho pepper, cayenne, Chipotle pepper, coriander & paprika. (Sometimes just garlic powder salt & pepper) I let it swim minimum 24 hrs but up to 96 hrs. Let it sit on a wire rack in the fridge another 24 hrs. Olive oil & a rub consisting of the same ingrediants as used above. Then into the smoker.
Divotmaker has a very nice write up on equilibrium brined if your interested. Hope this helps.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill