Author Topic: Snake River American Wagyu brisket  (Read 2524 times)

barelfly

Snake River American Wagyu brisket
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »
Today is the day. My son turns 13 tomorrow, so smoking the brisket I bought last winter when they had them on sale. I'm nervous! hahah. But, all the reading I've done, I think I got it planned out ok. 15.5lb wagyu brisket, going to get that thing on at 5pm - 1.25 hours/lb to smoke, plust 3-4 hour rest so we can eat at 5pm Saturday.

I'm going traditional here - want this meat to stand on it's own, so just some EVOO and a S/P rub along with oak and cherry wood.

if you think my calculations are off, please let me know. but pics will be coming soon!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:49:35 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Snake River American Wagyu brisket
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:58:18 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me. Nice piece of meat. Keeping it simple with the seasonings is the right thing to do with meat of that quality.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 04:51:59 AM »
And somehow, I'm up at 2:49am MST and my temp probes are reading 192 in the point and 201 in the flat. I have no idea how they could be so high so quickly. I'm about to go probe - thought I'd check her to see if anyone has had a brisket of 15lbs cook so dang quick! I'll let it rest for a bit, but since I don't plan on eating until 5pm, I'll have to put it in the fridge at some point. Any suggestions on reheating?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 05:18:02 AM »
About 10 hours in, this thing is jigglin like it's on the dance floor. Tooth pick test in a few areas and it's right through like butter. I don't get how it's done so early, but its wrapped in foil and towel sitting in a cooler. I'll let it rest for a while and wake back up in a few hours and set the box to 140 and let it hold until dinner time (5pm MST) unless that's too long of a hold and it needs to get into the fridge for some time.

10 hours.......how! Ha ha ha - here's a pic! And man does it taste good.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
I don't get how it's done so early
10 hours.......how!
Wagyu!  Not the shoe leather cuts that take a long time to break down connective tissue.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely keep it warm at 140 rather than chill and reheat.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 12:10:20 AM »
And my first full packer brisket was a success, even with the quicker smoke and extended holding time. Couldn't believe how tender and moist this brisket was. Family and friends loved it as well as the beans and potato salad I made. - I have about half of the point remaining for leftovers and Here in New Mexico, we love us some green chile brisket tacos. Now I just need to decide if I want to use the rest in that way or just eat it as is!

Thanks for those who answered a few of my questions as i went through the smoke last night and early early this morning!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q