Author Topic: #3 Initial Observations.  (Read 8719 times)

raymillsus

Re: #3 Initial Observations.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
So could not resist I am doing a Chuck roast.

This is what I put in. Kinda small and cooking quick. But that seems to be the rule on this smoker so far.

-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »

This is what I put in. Kinda small and cooking quick. But that seems to be the rule on this smoker so far.

Have you tried dropping an ambient temperature probe down the hole into the box? You should get temperature swings around 30 degrees to either side of your set temperature, so don't be alarmed by that. As it get's more seasoned, the temperature swings will calm down a bit, but they should average out to around your set temperature. You might be running hot. It could be that your knob needs to be adjusted, but I think that is pretty rare. I don't recall many people thinking the SI cooks fast, but you come from a Bradley background, so maybe those are really slow. Also, the top of mine does not get that hot. Do you have your smoker out in the sun by chance? If it is in the sun, you can fry an egg on there. The top gets screaming hot. In the shade, it should be relatively cool. Once you get a few smokes under your belt, and it's fully seasoned, you can re-evaluate.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »

Have you tried dropping an ambient temperature probe down the hole into the box? You should get temperature swings around 30 degrees to either side of your set temperature, so don't be alarmed by that. As it get's more seasoned, the temperature swings will calm down a bit, but they should average out to around your set temperature. You might be running hot. It could be that your knob needs to be adjusted, but I think that is pretty rare. I don't recall many people thinking the SI cooks fast, but you come from a Bradley background, so maybe those are really slow. Also, the top of mine does not get that hot. Do you have your smoker out in the sun by chance? If it is in the sun, you can fry an egg on there. The top gets screaming hot. In the shade, it should be relatively cool. Once you get a few smokes under your belt, and it's fully seasoned, you can re-evaluate.

I had my maverick in there the Oven temp was set at 150 deg and it stayed between 144 and 158. I was actually impressed. This is a #3 not a #3d. The chuck was only 2.5lbs could be why it was quick. went to 150 IT in about 3 hrs. My old smoker was 500 watt. this one is 1200 will be a learning curve. But it still looks amazing.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
It might be a little chewy at an IT of 150 but I assume you've made them before at that temp. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

raymillsus

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
It might be a little chewy at an IT of 150 but I assume you've made them before at that temp.

No actually my first one on the smoker. What temp should it be?
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »
No actually my first one on the smoker. What temp should it be?

I'd recommend 195 to 200 for your internal meat temp.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:03:49 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
I had my maverick in there the Oven temp was set at 150 deg and it stayed between 144 and 158. I was actually impressed. This is a #3 not a #3d. The chuck was only 2.5lbs could be why it was quick. went to 150 IT in about 3 hrs. My old smoker was 500 watt. this one is 1200 will be a learning curve. But it still looks amazing.

Was the "oven" temp at 150? I Assume your are setting your dial at 225-250 (not 150), so when I say ambient temperature, I mean the temperature of the air in the box cavity of the smoker, which should be similar to your dial temperature (that would be your "oven" temperature). I would recommend a dial setting of 225, and "meat/food" temperature of 195 for a chuck roast. Wrap in foil and rest for at least 30 minutes, 1 hour is better.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:13:40 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »

Was the "oven" temp at 150? I Assume your are setting your dial at 225-250 (not 150), so when I say ambient temperature, I mean the temperature of the air in the box cavity of the smoker, which should be similar to your dial temperature (that would be your "oven" temperature). I would recommend a dial setting of 225, and "meat/food" temperature of 195 for a chuck roast. Wrap in foil and rest for at least 30 minutes, 1 hour is better.
So I had it at 225 and the IT was rising at a rapid pace. I did turn it down to 150 to slow down the cook. It still did not take long for it to get to 150 IT. My dial was set to 150. I will do 195 IT and 225 on the dial next time. I will admit it was a bit chewy. But Man the flavor was out of this world. the kids even raved about it. I am not use to the power this unit has. My Bradley (500 watts) would take much longer to heat anything in it. I will get it but I can tell you that the flavor this is putting into the food is much better than the Bradley. I can not wait until 6 months down the road when this thing is completely broken in. The flavor should be even better. I will remember 195 internal temp. I have some more Creek-stone meat coming. If you have not tried it all I can say is it is above anything I have had anywhere. The food was amazing and i will keep at it. I hate bugging everyone with all my questions so I will calm that down a bit. :)
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

JustChillin

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
If you don't ask questions, you don't get answers. Keep on smoking and sharing your experiences.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

raymillsus

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
If you don't ask questions, you don't get answers. Keep on smoking and sharing your experiences.

Thanks. Glad to hear.

-Ray
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
Keep asking those questions! We love to hear them. When taking any meat to 195, it's going to rise very quickly to 150. So I'm not surprised it got there fast. 150 for Chuck Roast is pretty low, unless you are chilling and doing really thin slices for sandwiches (in which case you would only take it to about 130 for medium rare). You really want a Chuck Roast to go to 190-200 for eating as a roast, where the collagen can convert to gelatin, giving you that super tender gelatinous mouth feel, and fall-apart juicy meat. The "stall" is going to occur sometime between 160 and 180, which is where the temperature of the meat is going to sit... or even go down, for a very long time. So next time, for a long cook like that where your internal meat temp needs to go to the 190-205 range, like for Chuck Roast, Butt, Brisket, etc., don't panic and turn down the dial when the temp rises very quickly in the beginning. Leave it at 225. You'll see that it slows down, and practically stops, for several hours.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »
Keep asking those questions! We love to hear them. When taking any meat to 195, it's going to rise very quickly to 150. So I'm not surprised it got there fast. 150 for Chuck Roast is pretty low, unless you are chilling and doing really thin slices for sandwiches (in which case you would only take it to about 130 for medium rare). You really want a Chuck Roast to go to 190-200 for eating as a roast, where the collagen can convert to gelatin, giving you that super tender gelatinous mouth feel, and fall-apart juicy meat. The "stall" is going to occur sometime between 160 and 180, which is where the temperature of the meat is going to sit... or even go down, for a very long time. So next time, for a long cook like that where your internal meat temp needs to go to the 190-205 range, like for Chuck Roast, Butt, Brisket, etc., don't panic and turn down the dial when the temp rises very quickly in the beginning. Leave it at 225. You'll see that it slows down, and practically stops, for several hours.

I do exactly that everytime for brisket and butts. But for some reason I expected the stall at 130-140 and it pushed right through. that is where i would get it on the bradley. I guess the higher wattage makes a difference.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »
The stall won't happen until after 150. Most likely somewhere between 160 and 190. It's more of a meat thing rather than a smoker thing. Not sure why you experienced a stall at such a low temperature with the Bradley. As we say here... embrace the stall. Never "push" through the stall. Just let it happen, and don't touch that dial. "Pushing through the stall" is a common BBQ expression... and practice for some reason. Have a beer, relax. The stall is where the "magic" happens. It's where all sorts of scientific chemical reactions are happening, converting collagen to gelatin, making all that connective tissue moist and succulent. Celebrate the stall, and don't rush it. Just make sure you allow enough time (and beer) for it! ;)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
If you think the meat is getting to an IT too soon, be sure your temp probe is not set too shallow in the meat.  What I do is line up the probe on the outside at the thickest part and using my thumb as a stop to mark the depth, I insert the probe in the thick part up to my thumb.  This way I feel comfortable on being pretty close to dead center without overshooting or undershooting.  I don't know how effective that is for placement but I feel good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

raymillsus

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
If you think the meat is getting to an IT too soon, be sure your temp probe is not set too shallow in the meat.  What I do is line up the probe on the outside at the thickest part and using my thumb as a stop to mark the depth, I insert the probe in the thick part up to my thumb.  This way I feel comfortable on being pretty close to dead center without overshooting or undershooting.  I don't know how effective that is for placement but I feel good.

That is a good tip with the thumb. I usually just push it straight in. I have the Maverick wireless. I love it actually. The only thing better will be if I ever get a WIFI pid for it. :)
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.