Author Topic: First Boston Butt on the #2  (Read 3842 times)

shrews824

First Boston Butt on the #2
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »
Smoked my first Boston Butt on the #2 yesterday. 

Turned out pretty well.  It was a 7.2lb. shoulder.  Smoked @ 250 with Hickory Chunks.  Spritzed every 2 hours with apple juice.  Pulled off smoker when temp. hit 190.  It smoked a little quicker than I had anticipated.  Got done in 8 hrs!!!  Began pulling after it rested for 1 hour. 

I'm gong to smoke my next one @ 225 per smoker recommendations however.  While this Butt was good I felt that it had a spot or two where it was a touch dry.  I normally smoke my Butts @250 on my old Masterbuilt and they normally turn out real well.  Just trial and error with this new smoker.  I'll get it down pat with a few more smokes. 

The wife did say she thought it was great though, so that's always a plus. 

Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

JustChillin

Re: First Boston Butt on the #2
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
A job well done if the wife was happy! I smoke most of my butts at 225.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

shrews824

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
A job well done if the wife was happy! I smoke most of my butts at 225.

No doubt.  If she's happy, we're all happy!!!

Yeah, I'm going to do 225 next time.  Just got in the habit of doing them at 250 on my old one I guess and thought I'd give it a go.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »
  Spritzed every 2 hours with apple juice. 
Also, the design of these smokers is to retain smoke and moisture.  Opening the door every 2 hours kind of defeats the design of the box. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

shrews824

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
Also, the design of these smokers is to retain smoke and moisture.  Opening the door every 2 hours kind of defeats the design of the box.

Duly noted.  Thanks for the tip. 
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »

+1. No spritzing. A habit I also (happily) had to break coming from a Weber Smokey Mountain. By spritzing, you are actually losing moisture, because you are opening the door. It's counterproductive. You are also dropping the temperature in the smoker every couple hours, which interrupts the stall, releasing smoke, introducing a big gust of oxygen into the chamber, which could cause combustion of your wood, etc. You'll find that keeping the door closed will give you the best results.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

shrews824

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
+1. No spritzing. A habit I also (happily) had to break coming from a Weber Smokey Mountain. By spritzing, you are actually losing moisture, because you are opening the door. It's counterproductive. You are also dropping the temperature in the smoker every couple hours, which interrupts the stall, releasing smoke, introducing a big gust of oxygen into the chamber, which could cause combustion of your wood, etc. You'll find that keeping the door closed will give you the best results.

No spritzing for me next time then.  Especially with this smoker.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Kind of fun making such amazing food with such little effort!  My buddies and their wives who have had my food are in shock that an electric smoker is making some of the best food they've had!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

shrews824

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
Kind of fun making such amazing food with such little effort!  My buddies and their wives who have had my food are in shock that an electric smoker is making some of the best food they've had!

Without question.  My family loves when I smoke foods.  When they get to experience what this new smoker can do they are really going to think I know what I'm doing!!!   ;) :P
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »
Right?!  haha I have a lot of friends with various pellet grills and they turn out good food but the food they smoke on them comes out good but not quite as good as mine!  It's fun winning a silent competition with them like this
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
Good job for a 1st smoke with a pork shoulder / Boston Butt.
I have done over 50 in my model 3 & have developed a routine, doing 2 large 11lb bone in Butts tonite for a family wedding reception tomorrow evening.
1- I Brine for 24 hours using 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 4 Bay Leaves
2- After Brine I coat the briskets in yellow mustard & add my homemade rub, refrigerate for 6 hours.
3- Model 3 set at 225* using a combo of Apple & Hickory chunks with a water pan on the bottom rack 1/4 full combo of apple juice & a 12 oz beer.
4- Smoking time varies depending upon the meat but done is 190* internal temp. Usually 14 to 19 hours. Push the meat with your finger - if it goes in its done.
**I open the door once after 10 hours to pour the contents of the waterpan on the Butts & to add more smoking wood. At this time I will check the internal temp which will give a good clue as to final time to reach 190* to 195* when I pull the Butts double wrap in foil & allow to rest 1 full hour.
**Save the contents (drippings) of the waterpan to add to the pulled pork, I also make a spicy pineapple juice tomato based sauce which I add & gets rave reviews.
J. French

shrews824

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
Right?!  haha I have a lot of friends with various pellet grills and they turn out good food but the food they smoke on them comes out good but not quite as good as mine!  It's fun winning a silent competition with them like this

I hear ya there!!!
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

shrews824

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
Good job for a 1st smoke with a pork shoulder / Boston Butt.
I have done over 50 in my model 3 & have developed a routine, doing 2 large 11lb bone in Butts tonite for a family wedding reception tomorrow evening.
1- I Brine for 24 hours using 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 4 Bay Leaves
2- After Brine I coat the briskets in yellow mustard & add my homemade rub, refrigerate for 6 hours.
3- Model 3 set at 225* using a combo of Apple & Hickory chunks with a water pan on the bottom rack 1/4 full combo of apple juice & a 12 oz beer.
4- Smoking time varies depending upon the meat but done is 190* internal temp. Usually 14 to 19 hours. Push the meat with your finger - if it goes in its done.
**I open the door once after 10 hours to pour the contents of the waterpan on the Butts & to add more smoking wood. At this time I will check the internal temp which will give a good clue as to final time to reach 190* to 195* when I pull the Butts double wrap in foil & allow to rest 1 full hour.
**Save the contents (drippings) of the waterpan to add to the pulled pork, I also make a spicy pineapple juice tomato based sauce which I add & gets rave reviews.

Sounds wonderful!!!  I'll have to give your recipe a try.  Yeah, I just need to get this smoker down pat with my Butts.  I can turn out a decent little Butt on my old smoker, but I know this smoker will be able to produce a much better product once I fine tune my technique on it.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2