Author Topic: First Smoke Meat Choices  (Read 3359 times)

Baummt22

First Smoke Meat Choices
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »
Going to be starting my first Smoke tomorrow, any suggestions on what would be a good inexpensive piece of meat to start on?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First Smoke Meat Choices
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
Welcome from SE Arizona Baummt22.  I like pork. Ribs are simple and nearly foolproof. And if you get the chance, why not introduce yourself in the intro section and possibly give us a first name.  We don't bite, unless it has been smoked!  Dave
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:17:18 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:57:10 PM »
A whole chicken is about as economical as you can get.  And as long as you have means to monitor internal temp, pretty easy to make turnout with no problems. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:24 AM »
Pork butt for pulled pork is a great first smoke. It's a long smoke that gets the smoker seasoned up good, it's inexpensive, and it's pretty hard to mess up. Look for a bone-in butt that's 8 or more pounds. It does require some time (you will usually start late the night before), and patience.

Patience is required to:
  • not open the door
  • not panic when the meat hits the "stall"
  • allow the meat to get all the way to 195
  • and giving it an hour or two to rest
Putting the meat in...and doing nothing is probably the hardest part for first-timers. ;D ;D Just make sure you start the smoke early enough. The most common thing I hear is "we had to pull the meat out early because we were hungry". A wired meat thermometer dropped down the hole is a must if you don't already have one.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:02 AM »
I also vote for ribs or a bone in pork butt. You will not only enjoy some really good food, you will receive many compliments!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

dcbt

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »
Patience is required to:
  • not open the door
  • not panic when the meat hits the "stall"
  • allow the meat to get all the way to 195
  • and giving it an hour or two to rest
This is great advice.  I'm just starting out in my smoking journey and have been guilty of jacking up the temp during the stall in an attempt to get up to temp in time.  I did this with a pork butt recently; not my best effort.

On another note, my first smoke was chicken breasts (large ones from a meat monger), which were VERY easy, quick, and came out great. 
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

drains

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Welcome from East Texas Bryce! A bone in pork butt is a great first smoke because not only do the results taste great but the process adds even more "seasoning" to your smoker. Something about smoke and rendering pork fat that just does the trick. Good luck and post pics if you can.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

dcbt

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
Welcome from East Texas Bryce! A bone in pork butt is a great first smoke because not only do the results taste great but the process adds even more "seasoning" to your smoker. Something about smoke and rendering pork fat that just does the trick. Good luck and post pics if you can.
Thanks  Yea, I need to do a bone-in next time, did boneless my first go-round.  Actually planning on a pork tenderloin for Sunday (brining tomorrow), but gonna practice more patience this time!

Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

Gene

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »
Welcome from Illinois!!   My first smoke was a pork loin that came out pretty good.  Fairly inexpensive and easy to do.  Good meal and good leftovers for good sandwiches.  Enjoy your #1 !!
Model 1
Central Illinois

Baummt22

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »
Sorry for not replying sooner. My name is Mike btw. Does anyone have a good recipe for a 8lbs bone in pork butt? If you could include type of wood and how many ounces, brine or marinade or rub that would be great!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »
Mike - My rub is nothing special:  brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.   I use hickory4 to 6 ounces and let it go to an internal temp of 195/200. Hope this helps.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Baummt22

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
David, thanks for the quick response greatly appreciated.