Author Topic: First time baby backs in my #2  (Read 2700 times)

goocher5.0

First time baby backs in my #2
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
Did three slabs of Back ribs on Friday, only the 2nd time I've been able to use my #2 since I've gotten it. the night before I rubbed the ribs  in mustard and the rub I made up, and let sit in fridge for about 12 hours. I also put in a frozen mac n cheese, and 3 ears of corn. The corn I pulled the husk back, lathered in butter and garlic. I had a small pan of beer on the bottom next to the smoke box, and I used 3oz. of a cherry/hickory mixture. Put in at 225 for 5.45 hours. Overall I think everything turned out well, although I think the ribs could have been a bit more tender, they weren't fall off the bone which I was hoping they may be. They had a nice bark though!

drains

Re: First time baby backs in my #2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »
Some tasty looking grub you got there. Really like the bark on the ribs. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
how did the corn turn out???? ....  very curious.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »
Looks good to me.  Ribs can be tricky.  Sometimes moist and fall off the bone and at other times tough or chewy.  It is a rib issue and not a smoker issue. I guess that is why there is BBQ sauce.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »
They look like really meaty ribs, so they probably did need a little more time. Baby backs are usually done for me around 5 hours (no peek), but those look thicker than the ones I usually get. I don't see a lot of shrink back from the ends of the bone, but it could just be the angle of the photo. Usually you want to see about 1/4 inch or so, but the best way to judge tenderness is to try and pull the bones apart, or insert a toothpick between the bones. It should slide in and out easily like butter. Did you wrap in foil and rest?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

goocher5.0

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 07:00:46 AM »
how did the corn turn out???? ....  very curious.

The corn turned out real nice, was quite juicy and tender. Also had a real nice smoke flavor. I had the ears on the top shelf for 5 hours.

goocher5.0

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:04:13 AM »
Did three slabs of Back ribs on Friday, only the 2nd time I've been able to use my #2 since I've gotten it. the night before I rubbed the ribs  in mustard and the rub I made up, and let sit in fridge for about 12 hours. I also put in a frozen mac n cheese, and 3 ears of corn. The corn I pulled the husk back, lathered in butter and garlic. I had a small pan of beer on the bottom next to the smoke box, and I used 3oz. of a cherry/hickory mixture. Put in at 225 for 5.45 hours. Overall I think everything turned out well, although I think the ribs could have been a bit more tender, they weren't fall off the bone which I was hoping they may be. They had a nice bark though!
They look like really meaty ribs, so they probably did need a little more time. Baby backs are usually done for me around 5 hours (no peek), but those look thicker than the ones I usually get. I don't see a lot of shrink back from the ends of the bone, but it could just be the angle of the photo. Usually you want to see about 1/4 inch or so, but the best way to judge tenderness is to try and pull the bones apart, or insert a toothpick between the bones. It should slide in and out easily like butter. Did you wrap in foil and rest?
There was a bit of pullback from the ends but not a whole lot. I did pick out the meatiest ones I could get as we open a whole rack and put out 1/2 slabs into our case for customers. I did not wrap in foil and rest them as my wife and I were hungry and it was 8:30pm when I took them out. How long should you wrap them in foil after they're taken out?

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »
Wow those look really good!  I'm doing my first rack of ribs today and can't wait to see how they turn out!

As for your resting question I found this in DM's sticky post about Baby Back Ribs:

"To check the ribs for doneness, we’re going to look for meat pullback from the bones (exposed ends of the bones), and also bark (the dark, chewy coating of the caramelized rub).  A great trick I learned, from “Old Sarge” on the forum, is the “toothpick test.”  Take a wooden toothpick, stick it in the meat next to a bone.  You’ll feel the tenderness as you press it in.  Then, give a little sideways pull away from the bone.  If the meat gives, and the toothpick doesn’t break, they’re perfect!  Pull them out, double-wrap in heavy-duty foil, and place them in a cooler until supper time!  If they’re not quite done, give them another 20 minutes and try again.  When they’re done, they don’t need to “rest,” like larger cuts of meat.  Take them in, slice and serve!  Resting, under a foil tent, while you get the side dishes ready, doesn’t hurt, though.  They’ll still be nice and hot!"

So to me it looks like resting isn't a big deal like it is with say a brisket or pork butt although it's still probably a good idea for a short rest.
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
I disagree that ribs do not need to rest. I rest ribs wrapped in foil for at least an hour. Up to 2 or 3 in a cooler is great too. I would say 30 minutes as a minimum. Also, as far as the toothpick "breaking", I've never quite understood that test. I don't think I'd be able to break a toothpick even on raw ribs. Those would be some pretty darn tough ribs, and I'd have to be pulling pretty hard to break it. I do use a toothpick though to judge how easily it is to insert and remove, and jiggle around. It should go in like butter.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
I only rested my ribs last night for about 15-20 minutes under a foil tent and they seemed just fine to me.  Next time I do ribs I'll get em done earlier and rest them longer to see if I notice a difference.  Not that a reason was needed to make em again but if it's in the name of scientific testing it's gotta be done!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?